What's new

SCTV Volume 4 (1 Viewer)

Haden

Supporting Actor
TvshowsonDVD is reporting that Volume 4 will be released on August 2: http://tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3163

Now the real question is what exactly is going to be on this set? Each of the previous 3 DVD sets had 5 discs featuring 9 90 minute episodes making up the 3 cycles of season 4.

Season 5 of SCTV was split up into 2 cycles each having 6 episodes. This new volume 4 set is reportedly going to have 6 discs instead of 5, so that means we will probably get both cycles (all 12 episodes) of season 5 together on Volume 4!

If that's true, then we'll have all of the 90 minute NBC episodes out of the way and then it'll get real interesting to see if they continue with more volume sets featuring the earlier 3 seasons from Canada (each with 26 30 min. episodes) and the final 6th season that aired on Cinemax with 18 45 min. episodes.

Personally I'm hoping that we can at least get the Cinemax episodes for the potential Volume 5 DVD set because I've never seen any of them, and a lot of the skits in the Canadian seasons 1-3 were just rehashed in the NBC seasons 4-5 anyway so it's no big loss if we never get those on DVD.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Aren't the SCTV Network 90 shows on NBC from 1981 to 83 actually the 6th and 7th seasons? Since the series was originally produced in Canada for international syndication from 1976 to 1981, that's 5 years right there.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

There's still a lot missing, so I WOULD consider this to be a "big loss" - I still want Jaws 23! However, I also would prefer they put out the Cinemax stuff next for the same reason as you and a lot of others: we never saw it. I'm pretty sure I've viewed every sketch from the first five seasons, but I've never seen a minute of the Cinemax stuff - it'd be good to finally give it a look...

Haden

Supporting Actor

True, but I think I read somewhere that it might be difficult getting the rights to release the Canadian eps on DVD. The Cinemax eps seem like a better possibility, and if it's an "either/or" choice I'd rather get the Cinemax eps on DVD as the final SCTV set. I'm also curious to see how much different the cable version of SCTV was and if they took advantage of being able to do more racy stuff on Cinemax.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
As much as I wish they would release the Harold Ramis and Tony Rosatta years,there was some great bits in Box 4 (Season 5):

It’s a Canadian Fact (and all the CBC parodies)

“Lets go to Yonge Street”

The Nutty Lab Assistant

Jackie Rogers Special

If they outlaw disposable bottles, only outlaws will have them. (Paid for by the National Glassproducers Association)

Human Sexual Response with Libby Wolfson

Tawny Beaver

Angel Cortez F.B.I. Jockey

Monster Chiller Horror Theatre: 3D House of Slavechicks

The Towering Inferno (especially Johnny Nucleo and when guy falls down the stairs)

Circus Lupus

Half Wits

Monster Chiller Horror Theatre: Tip O'Neil's 3D House of Representatives

Days of the Week ("Rocco Fingers Wainwright")

Stars in One w/ Brock Linehan

Oh That Rusty!

Vic Arpeggio Private Investigator

The True Story of Billy the Kid w/ Ed Grimley

The Long Hard War

Jackie, We Hardly Knew Ye

“I Hate the Bloody Queen”

and Season 6 (the Cinemax episodes) had Black Like Vic, Happy Marsden and “Six Gun Justice”

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
6 Gun Justice is absolute gold! I'm guessing that the cinemax stuff also includes "Gimmie Jackie". What I would like to see is all the Cinemax episodes in one box, with "the Last Polka" as a bonus feature. I think this was produced outside of the regular SCTV seasons.

I have seen a lot of the cinemax stuff on regular Canadian cable, cut up into half hour episodes. The real joy for me is seeing the 910 minute shows as they were originally conceived, it makes the running gags alot easier to appreciate.

And yes, there is alot of early stuff that would be great to have on DVD. "Doctor Braino" and "The Mr. Earl" doll ("Flloyd, why don't you go CHASE YOURSELF!") are 2 personal favorites that I would love to have. And the Mo Green stuff that Ramis did was just great (Dialing For dollars)

I think that "The Comedy Network" in Canada is airing the early Ramis stuff, maybe the rights have to run out before they can put it out?

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I don't have any of the DVD- does anyone know if the SCTV 90 episode with Betty Thomas in "South Sea Sinner" has been released yet?

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I'm hoping the Cinemax series (SCTV Channel, right?) is next, as Volume 5. I was looking at the booklet of Volume 1 yesterday and in the introduction it said that the 30-minute episodes would be next... so who knows? I'm sure we'll find out in a month or two.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Actually I'm hoping the early Canadian version will be released (the one that's been showing on TV Land lately).

It was watching this version on my local PBS station many years ago that turned me on to SCTV in the first place.

Steve

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
steve are you saying the early half hr eps are now on tvland?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks