What's new

Quincy, M.E. - Season 1 Question (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(Going further offtopic in regard to dallas).

To eliminate any ambiguity when talking about the Dallas seasons, the nomenclature I use explicitly is the "dream season" being season 8 / (season 9 DVD). The first 1978 episodes are explicity referred to as the miniseries / first five episodes from the season 1+2 dvd set. The "who shot JR" season is season 2 / (season 3 DVD).

Usually it is the extreme hardcore ocd types who waste a lot of time and effort on arguing minutiae like this. Easier to just explicity state a particular season in non-ambiguous terms, by both the DVD set nomenclature AND the nomenclature labeling of the hardcore OCD dallas fans.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Getting back to Quincy, I have seen several people say they didn't care for the "later seasons." Which seasons would that be exactly, and why are they less appealing?

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The series moved away from crime mysteries and became a platform for Jack Klugman to pontificate about social issues. I can't pinpoint the actual seasons, it's been awhile, but he pretty much started taking on all sorts of topics.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The series moved away from crime mysteries and became a platform for Jack Klugman to pontificate about social issues. I can't pinpoint the actual seasons, it's been awhile, but he pretty much started taking on all sorts of topics.

I think O-R ABC MacGyver w/Richard Dean Anderson started doing the same thing around the fourth go (1988-89).

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I guess then, from what you're saying, that you're going by how Barbara Curran put it, and that the final go (1990-91) was the 13th one, and not the 14th.
Yes:
Miniseries (April 1978)
Season 1 (1978-79)
Season 2 (1979-80)
Season 3 (1980-81)
Season 4 (1981-82)
Season 5 (1982-83)
Season 6 (1983-84)
Season 7 (1984-85)
Season 8 (1985-86)
Season 9 (1986-87)
Season 10 (1987-88)
Season 11 (1988-89)
Season 12 (1989-90)
Season 13 (1990-91)

~Ben

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Got it, that sounds like what I've heard elsewhere. Hard to understand how the show could stay on the air without the mysteries that its built its fandom on. So maybe it was just the last one or two seasons.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Got it, that sounds like what I've heard elsewhere. Hard to understand how the show could stay on the air without the mysteries that its built its fandom on. So maybe it was just the last one or two seasons.
My guess is it was the fourth season (1979-80), the first that had the newly-updated opening and closing theme, which was changed only slightly for seasons 5-7 (1980-83).

~Ben

Last edited:

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
CBS and Lorimar always considered the spring 1978 Dallas episodes as a five-episode tryout - similar to Three’s Company and Family, which also had short initial six-episode seasons. It wasn’t a miniseries in the traditional sense; traditional miniseries aired on consecutive nights, were serialized and had definitive endings. What was different about Dallas is that - unlike Three’s Company and Family - there was no initial pilot episode that was filmed earlier to sell the series. But there were always plans to do more episodes if it did well.

The full seasons that followed were originally labeled as seasons 1-13. It was only when Warner Bros released the show on DVD that they called the first set “The Complete First and Second Season” as a marketing gimmick to make it sound like people were getting more for their money. Since then, the series has been renumbered to have 14 seasons.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
CBS and Lorimar always considered the spring 1978 Dallas episodes as a five-episode tryout - similar to Three’s Company and Family, which also had short initial six-episode seasons. It wasn’t a miniseries in the traditional sense; traditional miniseries aired on consecutive nights, were serialized and had definitive endings. What was different about Dallas is that - unlike Three’s Company and Family - there was no initial pilot episode that was filmed earlier to sell the series. But there were always plans to do more episodes if it did well.

The full seasons that followed were originally labeled as seasons 1-13. It was only when Warner Bros released the show on DVD that they called the first set “The Complete First and Second Season” as a marketing gimmick to make it sound like people were getting more for their money. Since then, the series has been renumbered to have 14 seasons.
As far as I'm concerned the tryout seasons are the first seasons of the series. Even the great TV Guide (RIP 1953-2005) agrees with this.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Shout Factory seems to have very little to zero interest in releasing tv complete series dvd sets like this.

I was hoping for an NYPD Blue complete series dvd set, but it will likely never happen. (Shout Factory released seasons 5 to 12 of NYPD Blue, after Fox gave up on it after the first four seasons).
Some of this may be held up by the Rights to the show.
Who has the right to it? And how much do they want for the rights? It's all about. Big Green. And more! Much more!

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
It was only when Warner Bros released the show on DVD that they called the first set “The Complete First and Second Season” as a marketing gimmick to make it sound like people were getting more for their money.

As with other shows that have had truncated first gos and longer second gos, like The Complete First and Second Seasons of T.J. Hooker from Sony and later Mill Creek, or Seasons One and Two on Moonlighting from Anchor Bay/Lionsgate.

FWAJMB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Blosser
I like the part where the people who own the show can call it whatever season they want. Just watch the episodes in whatever order you like without having to place them in a contrived category that should not distract from your viewing pleasure.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Speaking in general, I think the use of the word "complete" on the packaging and online listing for TV shows should restricted to sets that actually contain the entire series.

"Complete first season"? What a load of nonsense. You see a listing with "complete" at a decent price on Amazon or eBay listings and get excited for a moment, only to find it's only a single season set. Very frustrating.:)

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
CBS and Lorimar called it a 5 episode pilot.

WB (and TV Guide) called it a season.

I guess we can all pick our preference. :laugh:
I'd rather an independent source like TV Guide than listening to propaganda from production studios
(e.g. CBS saying Hawaii-Five-0 is spelled with the letter O (stupid) and Paramount saying (back and forth) that Star Trek animated was not canon (the very fact it was on TV makes it canon (i.e. it wasn't a novel). A lot of it is re-writing history that existed for decades.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Speaking in general, I think the use of the word "complete" on the packaging and online listing for TV shows should restricted to sets that actually contain the entire series.

"Complete first season"? What a load of nonsense. You see a listing with "complete" at a decent price on Amazon or eBay listings and get excited for a moment, only to find it's only a single season set. Very frustrating.:)
And why is it always "The Complete First Season" but subsequent seasons are only released as "The Second Season," etc. Is there some reason some people may think not all of the first season is released?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
And why is it always "The Complete First Season" but subsequent seasons are only released as "The Second Season," etc. Is there some reason some people may think not all of the first season is released?

I think Universal did it somewhat better on that score when it came to the releases of shows like Emergency!-- the releases were Season One, Season Two, etc., all the way through Season Six, and then the final set (of the later TV movies) was called The Final Rescues.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks