What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (9 Viewers)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I still don't. I like everything on the ship. It falls apart once they get to the planet. I could watch Spock's Brain and The Way To Eden for 12 hours before I'd want to watch that train wreck again.

And I could see "The Doomsday Machine" for that long as well-- that was 50 min. of extremely-well-done Trek, right on the money!

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
As great as The Doomsday Machine is, there is never any real attempt to do this type of story again in TOS other than maybe The Immunity Syndrome. By that I mean a story in which our crew never really fully understand their adversary, or are able to communicate with it. I always felt that this is what most encounters would truly be like when exploring space. Missed opportunities.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I just watched Bread and Circuses and I, Mudd this last weekend on my continuing second season viewing. Sam, Your question for what to show next to your sons might be those two episodes. One with action and adventure and the other with some comedy.
The line from the end of Bread and Circuses seems apt here, to watch it happen all over again, to see young kids discover Star Trek. :)

Bread and Circuses (one of my favorites) and I Mudd are on my short list of episodes to show them. (They've already seen Balance of Terror, which was suggested yesterday.)

Yeah, it is a joy to see them discover the whole Trek universe. Just this morning, one of them asked why Kirk went on so many away missions when the captain wasn't supposed to (he was remembering the rule in TNG). He also asked who was in charge of the ship if Kirk and Spock were away. (Scotty.) And what 's if Scotty's away? And so on. Eventually, he got to asking why Uhura was never in charge and I didn't have an answer.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Uhura took command in the animated episode "The Lorelei Signal."

theloreleisignal_115.JPG

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Just this morning, one of them asked why Kirk went on so many away missions when the captain wasn't supposed to (he was remembering the rule in TNG). He also asked who was in charge of the ship if Kirk and Spock were away. (Scotty.) And what 's if Scotty's away?
Don't forget Asst. Chief Engineer DeSalle. He was in command in "Catspaw".

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I remember enjoying "A Piece of the Action". I liked the humor in this one - Fizzbin, Spock with a tommygun trying to be a yes man ("Right!"), Kirk trying to drive and to sound like a mobster, nearly as funny as "Tribbles". I was probably around 9 when it first aired and tried to remember how to play the card game - not an easy thing to do <_<.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I remember enjoying "A Piece of the Action". I liked the humor in this one
I didn't like this one either.(Big surprise, right?). This is straight 3rd season Man From U.N.C.L.E. territory and something that greatly detracts from what I enjoy in the show. They also employ a device that would have altered the course of the show if they were paying close attention to it. The ability for the ship's phasers to fire a stun setting in a localized area is game changing. Landing parties are never in jeopardy anymore. Just stun the area and beam up the unconscious bodies at your convenience.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Just showed the boys Trials and Tribble-ations, which they enjoyed. They said their favorite parts were the ones with the original crew. I always liked this one (they loved The Trouble With Tribbles), and the DS9 cast was excellent, especially Terry Farrell as Dax, who could raise an eyebrow to rival even Spock.

One marked contrast between TOS and DS9 can be seen in the bright TOS uniforms vs. the drab DS9 uniforms. Likewise, the muted music when showing the station, vs. the scenes in TOS time period.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
We have continued introducing our boys to Star Trek. Recently we watched TNG's Yesterday's Enterprise, which they enjoyed but were perhaps not able to follow (all the changes caused by the time displacement of 1701-C), and just this weekend showed them TOS' The Doomsday Machine, which they loved. We're talking complete edge-of-your-seat reactions.

Anyone have any further suggestions (from any of the series) that a pair of 9-year-olds might love? Obviously, they react best to those episodes with plenty of action. (But as episodes like TNG's Family and The Drumhead are some of my favorites, we'll get to those too.)

I started watching Star Trek with my son when he was about 5 or 6, and now he's 21....! Anyway, here are some recommended episodes from the Original Series....

Where No Man Has Gone Before
The Corbomite Maneuver
The Naked Time
Balance of Terror
What Are Little Girls Made Of?
Dagger of the Mind
The Conscience of the King
The Galileo Seven
The Menagerie
Shore Leave
Arena
A Taste of Armageddon
Space Seed
This Side of Paradise
The Devil in the Dark
The City on the Edge of Forever
Operation—Annihilate!
Who Mourns for Adonais?
Amok Time
The Doomsday Machine
The Changeling
Mirror, Mirror
The Deadly Years
The Trouble With Tribbles
Bread and Circuses
Journey to Babel
A Private Little War
The Gamesters of Triskelion
The Immunity Syndrome
A Piece of the Action
By Any Other Name
Patterns of Force
The Ultimate Computer
Spectre of the Gun
The Paradise Syndrome
The Enterprise Incident
The Tholian Web
For the World is Hollow
Wink of an Eye
The Cloud Minders
The Savage Curtain
All Our Yesterdays

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
That was actually one of the better episodes from the infamous third season's worth of O-R Trek, at least IMO.

Yes, The Enterprise Incident has long been in my top 5 for all of TOS. It's a great episode! And the transporter situation they use in it was just used again in the new Trek show.

Although, to switch topics, I feel very mixed about Discovery.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Although, to switch topics, I feel very mixed about Discovery.

One thing I didn't like about Discovery is that only the first show was seen direct on CBS, whereas all subsequent ones you had to go online for (impossible if you're on metered 'Net usage as I am)!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The Enterprise Incident is one of the classics of the original series. (Wasn't there a book or a fan theory that suggested Saavik was the daughter of the Romulan Commander and Spock? I don't think the math works out for that to be so, and it's kinda icky anyway.)

Speaking of that episode, has anyone else seen the latest Star Trek Continues, which used the daughter of the actress who played the Romulan Commander to play the same character? It was very fitting.

BTW, has anyone downloaded the STC episodes (they're up for free downloads, with extras). It's something I am trying, as I just got a blu-ray burner, but I haven't gotten very far. Any advice is appreciated.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
We recently showed the boys the Roddenberry-esque TNG episode The Chase, which is one of my favorites. They enjoyed it - they love it any time there are multiple species in an episode (in this case, Klingons, Romulans, and Cardassians).

As for Discovery, I have been watching and even enjoying the show, but I wish it felt more like Star Trek. Also, I have also found that my enjoyment is proportional to the absence of the Discovery Klingons. The whole look and nature of them is just wrong IMO.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I didn’t know Joanne Linville’s daughter had that role in Star Trek Continues. I didn’t even know they were doing that. Not a bad job of recreating the look, not perfect as that is pretty hard to do! I’m not a fan in general of the fan films, so I’ve not been keeping up.

I looked them up and Amy Rydell has no Wikipedia page. But is see Joanne Linville is 90 years old!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks