What's new

Score for Gibson's "Passion" - anyone else hopeful? (1 Viewer)

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
The IMDB has Lisa Gerrard, formerly of Dead Can Dance and contributor to numerous soundtracks (Gladiator being the best-known) and Rachel Portman as the creators of the score for Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ."

A combo like that has great potential to construct a classic score. I'm hoping the music for the latest trailer for the movie is actually from the score - it sure sounds like Lisa Gerrard's voice.

Two links for the trailer:

Yahoo's page

Direct link

Mods - links are included soley for readers to see it and hear the music I reference above. Not trying to make this a thread about the movie itself.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Yeah, I think the music featured in the last two trailers were made for the movie. If the rest of the music is like that, I can't wait to hear it.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
The score is being done by John Debney. The latest trailer only lists him as being the composer and not Portman & Gerrard.

Excerpts from an article on the Music from the Movies website:

Michael Martin

Screenwriter

That sucks. Debney's done some good trailer music, and his score for Scorpion King was fairly good, but that's an entirely different kind of movie.

Dang. Gerrard and Portman on the film would have been just awesome. :frowning:

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Hearing Gibson's intentions in making this film, I'm surprised he had it scored at all. Introducing an artificial element like a music score can certainly heighten emotional resonance, but can also detract from a film's realism.... and utter realism is what I thought Gibson was after.

In other words, I'm surprised any non-diegetic sounds would be used in this film.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter

I'm not so sure, since he's been very open about making artistic choices with the story (the personification of Satan, using the visions of Catholic mystics to expand the story). I think he wanted the production details to be realistic - wardrobe, buildings, and, of course, the physical effects of scourging and crucifixion. But even the trailers depict a stylized, artistic interpretation of the event, and having a score would be part of that.

But now, reading your post, I'm worried about the score being TOO intrusive, and find the idea of the movie having no score at all a pretty cool one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks