What's new

Scooby-Doo: General DVD Questions (1 Viewer)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Just today I replaced my copy of the Scooby-Doo Seasons 1/2 collection. I'm comtemplating picking up the Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt set and while the Scooby-Doo movies set interest me I'm curious if anyone knows if there are any plans to release the Movies collection, there were 24 movies in that season of which only 15/16 of those episodes were released in the boxed set. Has anyone heard anything about these missing movies and why they haven't been released?

ethanTo

Stunt Coordinator
That was my understanding too, I suspect Hanna Barbera tried, but in vain. I feel pretty confident that the "Best of New Scooby-Doo Movies" is the 'best of' that series we are going to get. :frowning:

I do plan to buy it eventually for my collection, but with a tinge of sadness. Just haven't gotten around to it yet, because that particular DVD set is particularly expensive, considering that its a 'best of' and not even a complete, and that I consider that particular incarnation of Scooby pretty bad (worse than the 13 Ghosts Of... but much better than the later Scrappy 3 7-minute segments format, those were just awful!)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Well, I've also been waiting to buy the the "What's New Scooby Doo series hoping that they release it in the form of Season sets ...

does anyone know about the rest of the half hour scooby cartoons such as the jaguaro, loch ness monster, and ghost of wimbledon? They were from the 70's i believe.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
I thought that some of the movie season episodes were pretty good, but some were just plain silly. Of course some really had to have filler to squeeze out the hour, but still it retained some of the early show's creepiness and mystery.

It was a nice return to form with the next set but I hated to have to buy Dynomutt as well. Ugh. However, many of these Scooby episodes I haven't seen in the longest time.

The loch ness monster etc, I think were in the last incarnation of the show in the 70s and really the last time the kept the original spirit of the show.

From the 80s on, it's been terrible - at best. from the ridiculous Scooby kids (where the good ol' crrepy fun in that show) to 13 Ghosts and then the newer silly movies....

And what's with REAL monsters???

Anyway I hope that there is a set to round up the episodes with the original gang and their 70s adventures and that will be it for me.

I don't doubt that something will come out, they seem to be on a yearly schedule, but I just hope that there's no scrappy.

ethanTo

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't mind scrappy until they did they did the 7 minute segments (3 per episode) with him, Scoob, Shag and later Daphne. Those were simplly a waste of airtime. People blame him, but it wasn't his fault, it was the change of format and the loss of Fred and Velma that went with it.

for the wimbledon, jaguaro, etc. episodes, they are part of the the show "Scooby Doo"...which I found a little confusing at first, since these were all aired before I was around in this world, hehe. I had always thought of those late 70s one as the way they were syndicated, as standalones, but apparently they were always paired with something else (like Dynomutt).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scooby-...sion_series%29

So, the first season of what is considered "Scooby Doo" (1976-1979) which follows the original mystery format was paired with Dynomutt and is what was released so far. The other 70s mysteries should be released next, hopefully an announcement soon... and hopefully they will do both of these 2 seasons in the same box, since there are only 8 episodes of Scooby Doo paired with "Scooby's All Star Laff-a-Lympics," a series I could care less about!

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I've been holding off on this one but when I replaced my copy of Scooby-Doo Where Are Youo I found a very special bonus collector's item. Got me an unused copy, brand new, of the Movie Cash ticket for Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed Movie. Yeah!!! eheheh

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
In what scooby show is the episode with the cat creature ?I always wanted to own it on dvd , LOL ! Is it on dvd ?

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock

That episode is called Homeward Hound, according to my 4-year old and 7-year old Scooby fanatics. It's of the "What's New Scooby-Doo" genre as opposed to the "Scooby-Doo Original Mysteries" genre. Should be out on DVD.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Thanks for trying Andrea, but im positive its from an older scooby, i even remember watching this episode in the 80s.Here is a small description, the gang go to visit their aunt who gets a mysterious medallion in the mail that turns her into the cat creature.

Mark Y

Screenwriter

"The Scooby Doo/Dynomutt Hour" aired in the 1976-1977 season. The original theme was the same as the syndicated opening of "The Scooby Doo Show" episodes, but originally incorporated Dynomutt in the visuals and in the original theme song lyrics. Later on, the shows were split, and "Dynomutt" aired Sunday mornings on ABC for a while, then later on USA's "Cartoon Express." The DVD set splits the shows into half-hours, and uses the syndicated "Scooby Doo Show" openings for the Scooby segments and the "Dynomutt" theme (which was first shown on the Sunday morning reruns) for the Dynomutt segments. The Dynomutt segments are also a couple minutes shorter than the Scooby segments. The original "Scooby Doo/Dynomutt" closing had the faces of both Scooby and Dynomutt. I definitely saw this on at least a few "Dynomutt" episodes on USA, but it is nowhere to be found on the DVD set. It is a major disappointment that these shows are not being presented with their original openings and closings as originally aired, but I'm not surprised. I imagine the only reason the DVD set is packaged the way it is in the first place is because "Joe Toon Fan" would see "Dynomutt" on a store shelf and have no clue what it is...so this obscure character gets to ride the coat-tails of one of H-B's most popular and successful characters to boost the bottom line.

"Laff-A-Lympics" premiered in the fall of 1977. It was always listed and promoted as "Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics," but as I recall, the opening shown on the reruns (on USA and since then on Boomerang) is the original. That show was originally two hours long. It incorporated the contents of the half-hour "Laff-A-Lympics" shows (with the two segments separated with other stuff in between). I'm not a big Scooby fan or historian, but I'm under the impression that the last handful of episodes which aired in syndicated reruns under "The Scooby Doo Show" titles were in fact originally aired as part of the "Laff-A-Lympics" season, along with a lot of repeats of earlier segments.

As originally aired on ABC, the first segment shown after the "Laff-A-Lympics" show opening was "Captain Caveman," which I believe was specifically produced to be a segment on "Laff-A-Lympics." (Later on, "Captain Caveman" was repeated on its own separately, and I believe "Laff-A-Lympics" was shortened to 90 minutes, or an hour, and definitely aired as a half-hour series on ABC's Sunday morning lineup later on, and still later on USA.) (Unlike "Dynomutt" and "The Great Grape Ape" though, the "Captain Caveman" opening *did* originally air when these segments premiered on "Laff-A-Lympics," and was not added later for a rerun package.) I don't remember everything verbatim, but I believe the two hours were comprised of Captain Caveman, Scooby Doo, Dynomutt, and the Laff-A-Lympics segments themselves. It made it very convenient for them to split everything up into its own packages for syndication later on. In this instance, since they can use Scooby as the hook, it wouldn't surprise me if WB tried to "reconstruct" the 2-hour format of "Laff-A-Lympics" for DVD. Of course, if they did do it accurately, they'd have to repeat a lot of segments from the previous season, and given WB's track record with Hanna-Barbera DVD sets, I doubt they even have records of which segments aired in which episodes. It would all be guesswork.

Back in the 1970s, when a cartoon had run its course on ABC's Saturday morning lineup, reruns would often air on Sunday mornings. Hanna-Barbera did a lot of these longer shows which included separate individual segments with other characters. A lot of times, when they moved to Sunday, they'd be split up into separate shows even then. I know that's true of "Motor Mouse And Auto Cat," which originally was part of "Cattanooga Cats."

More info than anyone asked for (if anyone asked for any info at all), but hope that helps.

ethanTo

Stunt Coordinator
Sadly I know exactly which ep you mean

it is
Who was that cat creature I saw you with last night?

And yeah, that was a memorable episode, strangely enough, or maybe they just aired it a lot, which could also explain why it burns in my memory. And no, it was in the last season of Scooby Doo Show, which has not come to DVD, but should be in one of the next two Hanna Barbera Scooby box sets. (Probably the second of two, if they release Scooby/All-Star-Laff-a-Lympics and Scooby All-Stars separately)

Mark Y

Screenwriter

Again, I'm not a huge Scooby buff but...

Didn't "Scooby's All-Stars" just consist of repeated segments previously shown on "Laff-A-Lympics?"

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I wish Warner would hurry up and release the first season of the What's New Scooby-Doo as a season boxed set. I'd definately jump at that one. ;)

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
Is there a phone number or email address to contact Warner about products we'd like to see released? I'd like to voice my support for Laff-A-Lympics to come out on DVD. If that ever gets released, I will be there with cash in hand.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
There is an error with the episode That's Snow Ghost! When the opening credits are almost over, the audio doesn't match the video, and there are a few seconds completely missing of the title card for the episode. Syndication prints are correct, but there was a mistake in the production of the dvd.

Aaron Handy III

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Handy III

They best make plans to rectify the situation soon! Every minute they state on that box they have 3 episodes from the 90-minute Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Show and the lyrics to the original "catchy theme song which celebrates, '...while Scooby is haunted by a spooky ghost, Dynomutt is doin' what he does the most!'" and feature completsely different material on the 4 "delightful" discs within, they're cheating customers...and diehard animation fans!

I stopped playing my Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour DVD set recently. I finally decided that fastforwarding through the syndie opening/closing titles of Scooby and Dynomutt are no longer enough; Warner's got to institute a disc replacement program for this set as well as the Magilla Gorilla: Complete Series and Tom & Jerry Classic Collection DVD sets, and reconstruct the original 60/90-minute Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt editions to their proper form. A colleague of mine says the original material exists -- they're just reluctant to spend the money to restore it. In which case, it's way past time for Warner to get on the ball already!

Mark Y

Screenwriter

Bottom line: If the sets sell as is, then there is no incentive for WB to rectify anything.

I am not optimistic about seeing "The Banana Splits Adventure Hour" on DVD. However, I want to publicly state that I am willing to help out in any way possible in working on that show. They are welcome to use my 16mm prints with the original Season 1 opening and closing. I would be more than happy to contribute those, as well as a 1968 NBC Saturday morning promo I have in 16mm....I have dozens of stills, many original transparencies, and most of the Season 2 scripts...this show was a huge part of my childhood and I want to help out in any way I can to get that set (or sets) done right. If they even care.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks