What's new

SCHINDLER'S LIST verified for 2004 release by Video Store Magazine! (1 Viewer)

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Hmmm... I just read the DVDFile info, and it says that it will be a 2-disc set and not a DVD-18. :emoji_thumbsup: if this is true!

Brian

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
For those who like disc art, there will be a special 2-single-sided-disc set with full color pictures of Mickey Mouse. ;)
AND forced trailers for Animal House and the American Pie Trilogy!

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Since the film is (mostly) black and white, would that take less space than a full color film? It seems to me it would, which might make it possible to put an excellent video transfer and 4 5.1 audio tracks on one disc.

Brian

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Universal did put the entire 2 hour and 50 min. movie of Scarface (1982) with DTS on one side.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Schindler's List is about 25 minutes longer than Scarface and don't black and white films need a higher bitrate than color? Putting it all on one side would definitely be pushing it.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I agree. In fact, I think Scarface would have looked even better without a DTS track - or if it were put on two sides.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Wasn't Superman a DVD-14, rather than a DVD-18? I'm too lazy to pull it out and check...

Someone earlier posted they felt an audio commentary would destroy the intent of the film - well, I couldn't disagree more. Audio commentaries (or any bonus features, for that matter) aren't meant to change the film at all. They're meant for the fans of the film and/or the medium to be able to learn more about the filmmakers and the filmmaking process. They shouldn't be made to make you enjoy a film you didn't enjoy the first time around.

Schindler's List is a serious, well-made film that has some brutal images of a very, very, very brutal and shameful chapter in human history. That should go without saying. But for me, listening to an audio commentary wouldn't take away from that, nor would watching a making-of documentary. There are some films where I've had no interest in listening to the commentary provided, or where I've tried listening and it hasn't been interesting to me. In those cases, I just choose not to listen to it. But I don't think my decision not to listen to it means that everyone else who bought the DVD shouldn't have that choice. If you don't think listening to a commentary or watching a documentary would be appropriate to your appreciation of the film, don't watch it. To say it doesn't belong on the disc sounds much like the zealots who want to ban certain programs from appearing on TV or radio rather than just not watching.

Regardless, there won't be an audio commentary on the disc, and to my knowledge, Spielberg has never done one, so it's not as though he sat in his office saying "Well, I usually like to do commentaries, but I think I might go to hell if I did one for this film." But to be honest, the I find the idea that commentaries or documentaries shouldn't be provided for certain films because their very existance is destructive or blasphamous to be ridiculous.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
"Every extra you could ask for all on one, nice DVD."

Except the original release version of the movie- you have to buy the laserdisc for that. :)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
According to DVDAnswers, Universal's giving people the option of digipak or keepcase for the widescreen and fullscreen versions. What's the point though?

Also they got rid of that unattractive bright yellow border on the cover. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Very nice. Since there's the bonus materials section on the same disc as "play", the movie seems to be split over two discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks