What's new

SCHINDLER'S LIST verified for 2004 release by Video Store Magazine! (1 Viewer)

Jim*F

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I would like to see the entire movie on one disc (the runtime is about 3 hrs. 17 min., so they could put only the movie on Disc 1 and keep the video quality perfect) and documentaries on a 2nd disc.

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to believe the entire film will be on one disc. I can't forsee any way to create an appropriate audio commentary -- possibly interviews/documentaries on another disc, but this is the kind of film where you must focus on the film itself, audio commentary would destroy the intent of the film.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

I hate to bring this up as it's been hashed out ad nauseum, but it wouldn't fit nicely if a DTS track is included, which Spielberg likes to include since he owns a portion of the company.

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator
They'll colorize it alright...except for the little girl with the red dress...that'll be changed to B&W. :D

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
DVD Talk has it listed as a February 2004 release. Anyone else know where this came from and the likelihood that this is at all accurate? I would be thrilled to know that within the next 6 months we are likely to see this title come off of my still not on DVD list.

Joel

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
"The Digital Bits' Rumor Mill" reports..........

>>> "This is a quick update to let you know that we heard an actual street for Universal's upcoming Schindler's List DVD. Word from retailers in the know is that Universal expects to release the DVD-18 disc on March 9th of next year. They've also been informed by the studio that The Sugarland Express and Duel will follow in 2004, so good news for you Spielberg fans."

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Nice to hear Universal is doing DVD-18s, but I still have to wonder if there won't be some forced trailers on this, and highly inappropriate ones too!
On the other hand though, I worked at a theatre that once had curtains that opened and closed before and after the movie, but later put in tacky slide ads and kept the curtains open all the time for them. This happened right before "Schindler's List" started playing, and I thought that showing that crap before such a serious movie would draw some complaints, but alas I didn't hear any.

Jim*F

Stunt Coordinator
A DVD-18 is a double-sided disc, correct? I really hope they make this a 2-disc release instead. I hate dealing with double-sided discs -- you must be so careful that it almost becomes annoying handling the disc.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
It's great to hear finally a serious date put on this release. Hopefully it won't have any 'delays' (similar to Duel). I'm also puzzled by the DVD-18 decision. A 2-disc SE would be much more in keeping with other recently released Classics. What if any cost advantages would producing a DVD-18 over a 2 disc have?

Joel

Andy_MT

Second Unit
please, not another DVD-18. don't get me wrong, conceptually they're a good idea, but my failure rate with these things is 50%. granted, they're all of MGMs latest DVD18s, but still, i'm sure it's something more generally flawed with the manufacturing process. and besides, i want my photoshop disc art !!!!

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
:rolleyes:
What if they did a 2-disc set but you didn't like the "art" they put on them? (I hate the ET disc labels!) Why not buy 2 and print your own label for each of them?
DVD is a 2-sided medium. Get used to it.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
my main point was the unreliability i've been experiencing with DVD18. that was my main concern, not disc art for **** sake.

why the hostility Jesse ? i was belittling disc art with the phrase "photoshop", therefore implying i didn't think it was worth a whole lot. next time i'll remember to put a smiley face if i'm being too subtle.

i'm all for DVD18, but i want it to be 100% reliable, that's all.

Jim*F

Stunt Coordinator
"DVD is a 2-sided medium" -- is there a scientific study that supports this claim? If one examined every DVD at Best Buy or Tower Records, what percentage of discs would be DVD-18? I believe single-sided discs would far outnumber double-sided discs.

I have only one set, The World At War, with two-sided discs, and it is extremely frustrating to see smudges, fingerprints, etc. even though I use extreme caution when handling the discs.

P.S. I'm glad that Disney, and apparently most other companies, understand and appreciate the aesthetic value of a DVD, and I appreciate the visuals and information on the front of a disc.

James Miller

Stunt Coordinator
asking for "scientific proof" is just silly... double sided DVDs were in the specs from the get go... the first Mainstream DVDs released were double sided WB "flippers"...

Just as vinyl and laserdisc were two sided mediums so is DVD... certainly all three could have been limited to one side of "data" and another with an aesthetically pleasing design/photo (just imagine how impressive a design could have been provided on an LP or LD sized platter!) but the mere fact that all CAN provide double the "data" on a single disc make it preferable if only for storage/space considerations...

why do the overwhelming majority of DVDs have only a single side of data with a pretty picture on the other? well, both the early adopters (film buffs primarily) and the Joe Sixpacks that have always been the target audience for DVD appreciate design... film buffs because it enhances the experience of owning the disc (just as a respectful and faithful- to the original advertising concept- cover/package design does) and enhances the overall Home Theater experience... joe six packs because it gives them a "pretty picture" which is always a good way to market anything...

that and the fact that DVD-18 has only recently been capable of being mass produced, and still not without problems... there are plenty of double sided DVD-9 discs out there, flippers and otherwise, where the technical aspects of mass production were never a problem... (barring random mastering/qc issues) that was simply a matter of economics- why spend more on two single sided discs- and the additional packaging- when a single double sided disc would do just fine...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks