SCHINDLER'S LIST verified for 2004 release by Video Store Magazine!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David Lambert, Oct 10, 2003.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I thought it was time to abandon the long-running "where is it?" threads and start a new "it's definately coming!" thread:

Video Store Magazine reports at the bottom of this article that Schindler's List will finally hit DVD next year:

2. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I've been waiting forever. I've got a shrinkwrapped VHS edition that I bought shortly before I started buying DVD. I'd love to replace it.

3. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

4. Cahyo Wicaksono

Cahyo Wicaksono Stunt Coordinator

Any spec on this title yet?

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Cahyo, you know as much as the rest of us do! [​IMG]

6. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Ugh, 2004 is way too broad of a date. It was pretty much understood it'd be out in 2004, but 01/01 and 12/31 are all 2004, so this helps little.

7. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

This is one title that deserves a big 3-disc set, the first two discs for the movie itself (a la the LOTR Extended sets) with a Steven Spielberg audio commentary, and the third disc for the special features. I'm hoping there will be a special feature of Spielberg's foundation, Survivors of Shoah (sp?), which has been chronicling all of the survivors' life stories and their accounts of what happened in Auschwitz or their part of Oskar Schindler's extended Jewish family. Extremely powerful material that deserves to be included, without a doubt.

I remember getting the special edition VHS boxed set some years back that had the film on two tapes, a limited edition CD version of the John Williams/Itzhak Perlman score (very somber and moving), and a trade paperback version of the book.

There doesn't need to be fun and fluff here as in other DVDs. Whatever is included for this DVD release needs to be of the utmost subdued sincerity and simplicity. I'm not one who wants to go for just a couple of things on a DVD release, I typically want the whole enchilada. But as with Paramount's 9/11 DVD release, the lesser, the better. I look forward to this release.

8. BrettB

BrettB Producer

9. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

10. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

I don't want to be a party pooper...but UNIVERSAL is releasing this. I guess. Look how they messed up the Scarface dvd with hacking up the documentary, or Back to the Future, The Meaning of Life? Forced trailers? I am scared for this one.

11. Kristoffer

Kristoffer Second Unit

Found this at Thedigitalbits.com: We hadn't planned to check in with another update today, but this one is just too good not to let you all know about. We have official confirmation from Universal Studios (via this article at Video Store - slide down to the very bottom of the text) that Steven Spielberg's long awaited Schindler's List will finally debut on DVD in 2004. How's that for a nice way to end the week? [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

Hopefully soon, we'll have a release date, details, and some cover art. This is my most anticipated non-series DVD. Next Valentines Day will be 10 years since I saw the movie for the first time. Dang, it's been a long time.[​IMG]

13. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

That is exciting news and about time. But w/ Universal releasing it, something is gonna get screwed up. [​IMG]

Peace,

DM

14. Tom_Bechet

Tom_Bechet Second Unit

AT LAST!!!![​IMG]

yes it is very vague kinda a twelve month window. But I'm sure it will turn out fine.

Spielberg will take care of his "baby" AFAIK this is his most personnal film or so, he won't let Universal mess it up.

I forgot that this film is 10 years old. hasn't lost nay of it's impact though.

15. TerryW

TerryW Stunt Coordinator

I think it would be inappropriate for SS to do an audio commentary for SL. Commentaries are about reliving the experience of making the film. The film speaks for itself. I don't think Spielberg wants to go back through what was no doubt an extremely draining time in his life.

The films to hear him talk about are Duel, Jaws, Close Encounters, Raiders, Poltergeist (yeah, I know Tobe, whatever), E.T., Jurassic Park, etc...

16. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

You took a date to 'Schindler's List' on Valentine's Day? I hope it wasn't a first date. [​IMG]

17. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    "You were making out during SCHINDLER'S LIST????"

[​IMG] Sorry, couldn't resist the Seinfeld reference.

18. Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman Second Unit

E.T. was a baby of Spielberg's and look at all the stuff that happened with that release from our buddies Universal. Sure, my 2 disc set is great, but all the misinformation on features and whatnot was just plain annoying. Hopefully we just get an amazing transfer...that is all I ask. One of my favorite films, I just want to replace my laserdisc set.

Also, anyone with the DTS laserdisc: how big a difference does DTS add to the film? I have the PCM only release and it is just phenomenal and perfect for this film.

AJG

19. Dave H

Dave H Producer

20. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor