What's new

Saw new B&W Sig 805s Today... (1 Viewer)

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
I just saw and heard the red ones today (beautiful, btw), I ran down to my local dealer to pick up my new pre/pro (Rotel 1066) and sure enough, there they were. They are $3500 (I think for that $ I would rather have 804s, but considering the older signiture series monitors were like $6000, the 3.5 seems pretty good).

I really didn't A/B them with the 805s, since the sigs weren't broken in yet, but I did listen to them, my buddy was telling me that right now the Sigs are "brighter, and offer more detail, and has better mid-bass" but he said he expects them to be slightly more laidback than the 805 when broken in.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
They are very revealing and the hunt will be on for the owner to find the best possible recordings to match with the Sigs.
Sorry, but isn't this all backwards? One should find speakers that compliment the music that they already enjoy. Too revealing is not always a good thing. JMHO

Arun_R

Auditioning
I have auditioned the n800 signature $20k and the N800 $16k. Both excellent speakers. I did this at two different dealers same electronics. I did however think and was later confimed by the dealer with the N800(16k) that thier room was the worst sounding in the store(blamed owner for being adamant). But they both performed beautifully. The dealer told me that the difference between the sig 800 and the 800 is the finish and extra leather in the front. they both use 2 10 inch bass drivers and have an external crossover(the base).
My favorite right now is the Nautilus 805 and I would really be interested in checking the sig 805 out.AS posted in the other thread the N805s brought tears to my girlfriends eyes.I am pumped to check out the Sig 805.
Interesting note. We (GF and I) liked the 800 and the 805 best of all the nautlius line and B&W seems to agree by releasing signature versions:) Actually haven't heard the 802 so will do that pronto. It is interesting to note that they made a better version of the 802s for thier 800 and 800 sig. It is the general concensus amongst dealers that the 802s are a better speaker for most compared to the 801( mainly room requirements). I am just happy that our favorite speaker the N805 was chosen to represent B&Ws best.

Arun_R

Auditioning
I don't think B&Ws are bright at all. I think there is a fine line between brightness and detail. My Girlfriend is very sensitive to bright (it makes her grind her teeth just like finger nails on a glass blackboard do). She didn't find any of the B&Ws bright.

The dynaudios are great speakers but they put out too much detail and information that the music is almost too much there too analytical almost. The B&Ws put out the same detail in a simple lush way. Like walt whitman said "Simplicity is the glory of expression". Which to me is very emotionally involving and mesmerizing. I compared the 1.3se to the 805 side by side same electronics. Prefered the 805 because the listening to them was effortless whereas with the dyns I was trying to absorb and identify the detail and not listening to the music. MO.

Nathaniel_D

Auditioning
Arun:

I feel the exact opposite way. I went and listened to the 803's and 3.0's side by side. The Dyn's were WAY more softened and laid back, with a deeper soundstage but the B&W's definatley brought me closer to the music...especially on the metal "twangs" of bass guitar slaps.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
When I picked up my CDM center a couple months ago, my dealer had a set of the red birds eye(?) maple. They were stunning. Seemed like there was streaks of silver mixed into the glossy finish. $3500 was what I was told, same as the 804's. I know my limitations (for now) and didn't even torture myself with a listen.

For what it's worth, my salesguy (whom I trust) said that he'd take the pair of sig 805's with a good sub over the 804s and a good sub.

Bob

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
bob, but a set of 805 sigs and a "good sub" is going to run you way more than just a pair of 804s (plus with the 804s you get teh FST driver).

also if you listen to true 2 channel music without processing, the sub does you no good.

I like the sigs, but I bought 804s for a few of the reasons I listed above.

Anny Chien

Agent
B&W= bright sounding (lots of detail), midrange is full, good bass extension, good soundstage.

Dynaudio= Smoother high end, midrange sounds more natural, good bass extension, and a very good soundstage

Overall, I feel the dynaudio sounds more natural. This is only my opinion.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Rodney, I wouldn't expect the 804's to produce really good bass on their own. But that's my philosophy. I tend to like the flexibility of placement of a free standing sub (I've got an SVS 20-39pc) vs. fixed subs in my mains.

Bob

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
bob, good point

with lack of bass management with some SACD and DVD-a discs a more full range speaker was a must for me

I listened to the 805 sigs, they sounded great, I am not sure they sounded better than the 804s though.

I have an SVS in my system so I certainly understand the importance of bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks