Saw new B&W Sig 805s Today...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithR, Aug 4, 2002.

1. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

Store in Santa Monica just got them and is breaking them in. Beautiful finish...i mean, striking. (this was a redding eye maple finish, not the tiger--although they come in that as well) Sizewise, the same as the 805.

I didn't listen to them as they had so few hours on them and I want to give them a good chance...however, the store owner said they are definitely less bright than the 805s, having more air, extension and more 3d'ness.

Of course, I asked him how do they compare to the Dyn 1.3SEs...he said Dyn were clearly superior for now specifically midrange-wise(they sell both)---shootout to come once he has another 100 hours on the Sigs...Rodney--you live in So. CA right?, you up for a joint demo perhaps? I am intrigued...

2. Rob Verstegen

Rob Verstegen Auditioning

Nice, very nice. So it's not just the finish they changed on the Sig805's ?
    Just ordered a set of red N805 to be used as rears in my setup. Can't wait untill it's Thursday [​IMG]
    Rob

3. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

Keith, I would love to do that, the only problem is that I am way over an hour away from Santa Monica. I will probably wait until AVToday gets a pair in, since they are only about 1/2 hr away, I know the people there (in other words-they are honest to me). I saw the pics, truely a beautiful speaker.

4. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

Rodney, you buy your stuff from AVtoday? My father used to get his stuff their all the time before they changed ownership. Does the blind guy still work there? I just remember him in my childhodd memory.

5. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

bruce, I don't know that guy, but I only work with 2 guys, so I only go when they are in (I call ahead of time)

btw, the comment about "less-bright" in the sigs is interesting. My bro went to a place in the LA area (don't know which) and listened to the 800 sigs and he said something about them even being brighter (not less bright) that the 802s (I thought that that was weird, since some seem to think the B&Ws are too bright already (perhaps he got it backwards, has anybody heard the 800 sigs that can comment??

As for the Dynaudio preference, I would agree, that IF the smooooooth, laidback sound is what I prefered, the Dyns (along with Totems, which use Dyn drivers) would be my first preference.

Kieth, are you out here on vacation or something?? if so, have fun!!

6. Rob_Z

Rob_Z Extra

yea, where did the dealer hear them at to say they are less bright. You said he is currently breaking in his first set.
    I mean a statement like 'definitely less bright than the 805s, having more air, extension and more 3d'ness. ' on speakers with only a couple hours on them???
    Sounds like a salesman to me [​IMG]

7. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

They have had them for 3 days, so probably have only 30-40 hours on them tops.
    I'm just saying what he told me--he said they refined the tweeter and enclosure i believe, and it was more open and extended. In fact, I have never been to this store before, and can't vouch for anything. The place is on Wilshire (Sound Factor I believe) close to CH Theater (where i was trying to go, but closed).
    Rodney, I just moved out to LA finally...been in the works for 6 months. In fact, just got the call that my moving truck is on its way and I will have a stereo again finally tonight! Next step is getting an fp into my much larger apartment [​IMG]
    BTW, I have heard the 800 Sigs in a decent room at a NYC dealer, and I found them less fatiguing than the nautilus line...goes to show how different ears can be ! And in fact, that dealer said the 800s were selling more to new customers who always thought B&Ws were bright, rather than existing B&W customers. Weird.

8. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

Kieth, looks like you are going to have to change you location on your sig, ha???

9. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

Rodney, Totem used to used dynaudio drivers, but now they buy some drivers from canada which is a knock off of dynaudio. Same thing with paradigm and seas drivers, paradigm copied seas

10. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

bruce, thanx for the update

11. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

"My bro went to a place in the LA area (don't know which) and listened to the 800 sigs and he said something about them even being brighter (not less bright) that the 802s (I thought that that was weird, since some seem to think the B&Ws are too bright already (perhaps he got it backwards, has anybody heard the 800 sigs that can comment??"
    Rodney,
    The Signature line, as well as the N801 use a Nautilus SuperTweeter design. While none of the Nautilus speakers roll off the highs like so many manufacturers do, a bit of rolloff still happens with the "regular" Nautilus design. The SuperTweeter is about as honest as a tweeter gets. I listened for quite a while to a pair of Sig 800s with Krell FPB amplifiers.
    Bright...NO WAY, Honest....YES![​IMG] They are very revealing and the hunt will be on for the owner to find the best possible recordings to match with the Sigs.
    Jeremy

12. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

Jeremy,

I am like you, I don't think that any of the 800 line is "bright", just VERY VERY honest to the origional recording!!

13. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

What's the list price on the B&W Signature 805s? Thanks.

14. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

I don't know, I saw the price in english pounds or something, but judging by the ratios compared to the normal 805s, I would guess anywhere from $2400-2700

ANYONE??

perhaps Keith asked when he was there?

15. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

Dealer said $3500/pair, same as the Dyns which is what peaked my interest in the shootout!

16. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

Kieth, so that is the EXACT SAME price as the 804s as well, interesting (I really thought they were under $3k, perhaps the dealer put a "premium" on them??)

17. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

So are these supposed to be better than the Nautilus 805 and or the Nautilus series?
    I don't see anything on their website at all so I'm flying blind [​IMG]

18. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

Rodney- its also funny because the SE costs the same as the 1.8...not sure he is lying, but of course never dealt with this store before so i have no idea

19. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

FWIW, the thread over at AVS implies that the Sig. 805s would be about 25% more than the 805s.

20. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

I thought I read somewhere that the Sig805s were nearly $5,000!
    Seemed appropriate, as the 800s are 2.5 times the price of the 802s[​IMG]
    Jeremy