What's new

Satellite TV (1 Viewer)

Don_K

Agent
I've been toying with the idea of dropping ATT cable. Digital, broadband, etc. The box only has composite video output, along with l/r audio. RF output comes from an external module that looks like a big tumor added on as an afterthought. And reading the fine print tells me "digital" means they're compressing more channels into their system, not delivering digital.
I've been inundated with emails offering me FREE hardware for a two room DirecTV system. No specifics, and I'm totally clueless as to what to look for in the hardware department. To make a long question as short as possible, what should I look for in satellite TV?
Thanks,
Don
http://store.yahoo.com/dialadish/dirtvdsssatt.html

Robert Eddy

Auditioning
I have Dish Network and a Toshiba 65HX81 TV. The picture is wonderful! Currently, I'm on a 2 room setup with a 501 for recording in the main room and a 301 in the bedroom. As soon as the new HD receivers come out I'll upgrade to that. Even with the problems that dish has on rainy days, it provides better reception than cable could.:)

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
Snap it up. I've had DirecTV since 1998 and love it. They offer an excellent picure and nearly every channel out there for a reasonable price. I'd take a long look at DirecTivo.

JoshDH

Auditioning
I've had DirecTV for about a year now, and I'll NEVER go back to cable. It's great. Just make sure you get a receiver with a digital audio output, because a lot of movies are broadcast in Dolby Digital.

TomMadden

Agent
I bought a dish and a Sony DirecTivo unit about 6 months ago. I hope that I never have to go back to cable, either! I bought it because it was cheaper than cable, and carried twice as many channels. Specifically, I wanted the History Channel, and MTV2, neither of which were carried by my cable company. It was also the most outdated system I had ever dealt with. They had two cables coming in, with 40 channels on one and 40 channels on the other. In between, they had a mechanical switchbox. Yuck! Anyway, enough ranting on the cable and more on the satellite. Here's what to look for in a satellite dish:
1. Look for one that has a digital out for audio. Most of them do today. This will allow you to hook it up to your receiver. The premium channels, such as HBO and Showtime are broadcast in Dolby Digital.
2. If a dish comes in the package, make sure that it's at least a "Dual LNB" dish. This will allow you to support two or more DirecTV receivers on a single dish. This is especially important for a DirecTivo unit (integrated DirecTV and Tivo in one box), as this will allow it to record two programs at once, or record one and watch another seamlessly.
3. Watch out for the local channels. DirecTV carries local broadcast channels if your in certain areas. It's an extra $6, but it's well worth it. If you live in an area that DirecTV doesn't carry local channels for, you will either still need an antenna or basic cable to get your channels.
After going over my options for a few weeks, I found that the Sony SAT-T60 DirecTV/Tivo unit fit the bill perfectly. I also found a place called American Satellite & Entertainment (Link Removed) that had them in stock with a free Dual LNB dish.
Setting the thing up is easier than the cable company and satellite installers would like you to believe. All you need is a pretty good compass, and someone to watch the TV and yell at you when it's all good. Of course, walkie-talkies or a cell phone works great too. If your sheepish about climbing your roof, it may be better to pay someone to do it, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks