What's new

sat service: dish vs directv (1 Viewer)

Sathyan

Second Unit
[Location: Saint Joseph, Michigan 49085]

Just got an HDTV (Toshiba 51" RPTV upgrading from composite-only 27" direct view), now programming is needed to take advantage of it. The local cable company (Greene County Cable) doesn't have any HDTV options so now looking at satellite. Mostly interested in HD movie channels (not into sports).

Looking at the lineups (100 or so channel packages), Dish and DirecTV both have the necessary basics (CNN, AMC, TCM, Bravo, History, A&E, Discovery). Is there any difference is picture and sound quality between the two? How about for regular definition TV?

Sirius is inclining me to got with Dish.

Voom is too pricy.

Any thoughts?

thanks
Sathyan

CurtM

Grip
When you wrote that Sirius was swaying you with dish, did you mean directv? I know that direct has a great offer with Sirius. hdtvdishdirect

I like both, I own dish (without HD) and also have seen Directv in HD and was very impressed.

Good Luck!

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
I've used both and have been happy with both. I switched to Directv a few years back because they were the only provider that carried the NHL Center Ice package. I do subscribe to their HD package as well. Just check out the programming packages each offers and then decide which one fits your needs the best. I think it's like a Ford vs. Chevy debate.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
If you've got the money, Dish's PVR-921 HD receiver/hard-disk recorder is awfully sweet. Two built-in HD tuners capable of picking up satellite and over-the-air broadcasts, and a 250 GB hard drive.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Ken..do u have one of those? The guy from Dish that "installed" my 811 says its still awfully buggy that he doesn't recommend it...yet.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Same as a stock HD DirecTivo. The HD DirecTivo can be upgraded to dual 300GB drives. Dish has always made it difficult to upgrade their equipment.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.