What's new

Sat/PVR Questions (1 Viewer)

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
I currently have the Hughes HD DirecTV receiver, hooked up to a rooftop antenna for local HD. I don't have a dish or service.

I would like to get DirecTV, but I also want a Tivo/UltimateTV setup. What is the best way for me to do this?

Get a Tivo/UltimateTV + DirecTV package that includes the standard dish and installation, then buy the HD dish later?

Get the HD dish alone, install it myself, then buy a separate Tivo/UltimateTV box?

What are the pros/cons of Tivo vs Ultimate TV?

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
DirecTiVO has dual tuners, allowing for recording of two channels at the same time....amongst a host of cool features......definitely check the tivocommunity link. A wealth of good info there.....

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Jared,

I have an Ultimatetv receiver (RCA DWD490RE) and really like it. If you're lucky enough, maybe you can find one at Radio Shack in your town, they go for $79.

For the money, it's worth it for me. I subscibe to the $9.99 a month UTV service so I can record on both tuners, and my wife wants to surf the web while watching our little one during the day, so we pay $5 extra to use my own ISP for unlimited surfing.

Since there's no contract, I cancel the UTV part if I get tired of it.

So far it's worked great...you'll find lots of naysayers who swear by Tivo, and that's great, but for me paying $50 (open box at local A/V store) and $9.99 a month isn't to bad for all the features you get.

Check out AVSForum.com for a complete UTV forum (plus Tivo etc) lots of good info there.

Alfer

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’m sure that you are aware Jared, that none of the PVRs will record and playback HD signals.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately, I am aware that they won't do HD recording.

I did some looking on the sites some of you posted. It seems that there is a series 2 Tivo coming out soon that should have two tuners? Anyone know more about this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks