What's new

Sanyo PLV-Z2 Projector.. 17 feet be too far for 106" screen? (1 Viewer)

AdamS

Grip
Hello all, I've been reading some reviews on the Sanyo PLV-Z2 Projector and it seems to be a great buy in terms of price/performance.. Problem is my living room is quite long (18 feet) and i'm in an apartment so I'm guessing ceiling mounting wouldnt be appreciated.. My question is, since a 100" screen recommended distance is around 13 feet, would it be possible if the projector were on a shelf behind the sofa on the back wall, to shrink the image down to fit a 106" screen? would this degrade image quality? I would just go with a bigger screen but 106" is the largest my wall will accomodate..

If that is not feasible, would it be possible to say have the projector on a table thats in front of the sofa with components underneath on a table "shelf"?

Thanks for any help!

DuWayne

Stunt Coordinator
18' will be too far a throw to obtain a 106" or less image. You can do what I did and turn your living room around to surfice a shorter throw.

AdamS

Grip
unfortuantely I don't have that option.. if i flip my stuff around 90 degrees, one wall is taken up by windows that go across the whole room and the other wall half is cut out to go into the dining room and most of the wall is taken up by a closet...

Do I have any other good price/performance options for an 18' room for a 106" screen?

Thanks

DuWayne

Stunt Coordinator
I believe you would then have to step up to a long throw lens projector. That also means you may have to step up i price also.

LouAR

Stunt Coordinator
You may consider this a step down but it will work. I have the same problem, need for long throw. Projector Central.com recently reviewed a new projector Hitachi Home 1. They gave it an outstanding rating for the price (http://www.projectorcentral.com/hitachi_home_1.htm). Here is a link to the Projection Calculator for this unit: http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...m?part_id=2285 You can look up just about any projector on projectorcentral.com and the site has a projection throw calculator for almost every projector.

Home Theater HiFI.com also gave it a wonderful review: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...r-12-2003.html It is an LCD but with lower specs than the Z2. I wanted a long throw equivelant to the Z2 but could not find one. There were a couple of options with native 4:3 but I wanted 16:9

The throw of the home 1 WILL accommodate a 106" at 18'

Even though listed for $1,799 - I found it for $1,199 at newegg.com or you can get it at projector people for 1299 with a free DVD/VCR player.

Hope this helps.
~Lou~

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks