What's new

San Andreas (2015) get ready to rumble the subs! (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Tino said:
Gotta say though I enjoyed 2012 more.

Me too. Throughout the film, I kept wishing Roland Emmerich had made it instead. The movie would have been no less ludicrous, but there would have been a greater sense of fun and irony to it, with richer characters (and more characters).

And after the trailers seemed to hint that the entire west coast was dropping into the Pacific Ocean, I kind of felt gipped when it was just the worst case scenario for regular earthquakes.

I do think that the film confirmed, if there was any doubt, that Dwayne Johnson is today's John Wayne. Whatever limitations he may have as an actor are irrelevant next to his sheer leading man charisma. He carries the bulk of the film on his shoulders, effortlessly.

I also liked Alexandra Daddario's character, who started the film as the damsel in distress but quickly proved to be more interesting.

Carla Gugino did what she could with her character, but there wasn't a lot to work with. The barriers between her character and Johnson's character were so thinly drawn that I spent most of the film wishing they'd just get back together already so we could focus on other things.

Two out of four stars for me.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
I do think that the film confirmed, if there was any doubt, that Dwayne Johnson is today's John Wayne. Whatever limitations he may have as an actor are irrelevant next to his sheer leading man charisma. He carries the bulk of the film on his shoulders, effortlessly.

Ludicrous. I was never a big John Wayne fan, but to say that Dwayne Johnson is today's equivalent of John Wayne is giving the man too much credit. John Wayne could actually act when he was allowed to. I'd like to see Dwayne Johnson pull off "Rooster Cogburn".

On second thought......no........no, I wouldn't.

If you had said he was today's equivalent of Arnold Schwarznegger then I would likely agree, but........John Wayne?.........no way. Not in a month of Sundays.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Adam Lenhardt said:
Me too. Throughout the film, I kept wishing Roland Emmerich had made it instead. The movie would have been no less ludicrous, but there would have been a greater sense of fun and irony to it, with richer characters (and more characters).

And after the trailers seemed to hint that the entire west coast was dropping into the Pacific Ocean, I kind of felt gipped when it was just the worst case scenario for regular earthquakes.

I also liked Alexandra Daddario's character, who started the film as the damsel in distress but quickly proved to be more interesting.

Carla Gugino did what she could with her character, but there wasn't a lot to work with. The barriers between her character and Johnson's character were so thinly drawn that I spent most of the film wishing they'd just get back together already so we could focus on other things.

Two out of four stars for me.
I too take exception to this comment and I like the Rock, but he's nowhere the actor Wayne was in his films.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
I can't agree with the John Wayne description. Johnson appears in many pictures where he doesn't carry the load on his shoulders. Like the Fast & Furious films & GI Joe Retaliation. Also, plenty of his films have been flops, like the Hercules film from last year. Wayne was much more consistent as a box office performer, and rarely ever got involved in ensemble films after Stagecoach. Johnson is a cross-over artist who started out in pro-Wrestling and branched out. Wayne was never involved in any other artform except cinema and he mostly stayed true to one genre. Westerns. He never would have been involved in a film like Tooth Fairy.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Saw the movie with my Dad. Like others have said....Go to see the action not the story...which is very cliche. Alexandra Daddario looked very good. And many people were chatting about her cleavage while she was swimming underwater. On side note. I had no idea Daddario is 29.

Unlike 2012...the new man in the leads wife is an asshole. In 2012 Gordon (Cusak's ex-wife's bf) is a good guy and really cares about the kids. In this movie Daniel (Johnson's ex-wife's bf) seems to care about the kid. Then when the shit hits the fan he runs off.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
todd s said:
Saw the movie with my Dad. Like others have said....Go to see the action not the story...which is very cliche. Alexandra Daddario looked very good. And many people were chatting about her cleavage while she was swimming underwater. On side note. I had no idea Daddario is 29.

Unlike 2012...the new man in the leads wife is an asshole. In 2012 Gordon (Cusak's ex-wife's bf) is a good guy and really cares about the kids. In this movie Daniel (Johnson's ex-wife's bf) seems to care about the kid. Then when the shit hits the fan he runs off.
Umm....spoiler alert. [emoji12]

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
This movie was the worst. An UNBELIEVEABLE story and a lot of CGI. Save your money. I wasted 2 hours of my life on this mess.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
I too take exception to this comment and I like the Rock, but he's nowhere the actor Wayne was in his films.
I'm not saying he's achieved the unique place that Wayne occupied in the popular culture, though probably more under 30 know who the Rock is than who John Wayne is, just that he's of that same kind of mold.

I would love to see Dwayne Johnson tackle a movie like The Quiet Man that's completely outside his usual genre.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Adam Lenhardt said:
I'm not saying he's achieved the unique place that Wayne occupied in the popular culture, though probably more under 30 know who the Rock is than who John Wayne is, just that he's of that same kind of mold.

I would love to see Dwayne Johnson tackle a movie like The Quiet Man that's completely outside his usual genre.
You still don't get the point, Dwayne doesn't have the acting chops of The Duke.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
disctrip said:
This movie was the worst. An UNBELIEVEABLE story and a lot of CGI. Save your money. I wasted 2 hours of my life on this mess.
I thought it was a fine popcorn summer film. I'm glad I spent the money to watch it in 3-D with Dolby Atmos sound on the biggest screen in my area.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
You still don't get the point, Dwayne doesn't have the acting chops of The Duke.

I'm clearing not going to be changing anybody's minds here, but I'd still argue that he was more of a screen personality than an actor. He had classic cinematic moments of genuine power, to be sure, like when Ethan grabs Debbie in The Searchers, and was a master of laconic underacting and conveying quiet tenderness under an impassive masculine exterior. But the bulk of his career was spent playing variations of his onscreen personas, as all of the best movie stars do, as summed up by his two rules for acting: “to stop in the middle of the sentence, so they’ll keep looking at me” and to “not to stop at the end, so they don’t look away.”

Johnson is a broader performer, and I don't think he could pull off a line like "Fill your hand, you son of a bitch!" But he too is more of a screen personality than an actor.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
San Andreas was the summer cheese movie I was expecting and you said it was, great effects but the cheese factor was high with some real groaners, "I finally got you to 2nd base" , yikes... And an ending pretty well telegraphed by the numerous dialog passages Why would you go in a building anyhow that's unfinished. Logic dictates you go where things cannot topple on you but this isn't a logical movie, and it had several thankless parts. Ian gruffud who was great in this years cancelled "forever" gets to play "dick boyfriend" And the fantastic Paul Giamatti so good in a ton of films get to say things like here comes the big one and pray for the people of San Francisco ! But when it comes down to it the Rock entertains and the spectacle was good, although I was a bit disturbed that in a movie with that much destruction it's shows very few of the hundreds of thousands that must have died, but in the end the flag drops, patriotism rides high, and the rock says we will rebuild. Goddamn ain't America great!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Adam Lenhardt said:
I'm clearing not going to be changing anybody's minds here, but I'd still argue that he was more of a screen personality than an actor. He had classic cinematic moments of genuine power, to be sure, like when Ethan grabs Debbie in The Searchers, and was a master of laconic underacting and conveying quiet tenderness under an impassive masculine exterior. But the bulk of his career was spent playing variations of his onscreen personas, as all of the best movie stars do, as summed up by his two rules for acting: “to stop in the middle of the sentence, so they’ll keep looking at me” and to “not to stop at the end, so they don’t look away.”

Johnson is a broader performer, and I don't think he could pull off a line like "Fill your hand, you son of a bitch!" But he too is more of a screen personality than an actor.
You got that right because to me, you're clearly out in left field about Wayne's acting ability in comparison to Johnson.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
I'm clearing not going to be changing anybody's minds here, but I'd still argue that he was more of a screen personality than an actor.

He did win the Oscar for Best Actor, something Johnson will never even be nominated for. No comparison.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I get what you're saying Adam. Dwayne has great charisma. We'll see where he is in a few years. Ya never know.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Saw this film yesterday. Boy oh boy, I am of two minds about it. In a critical sense, this film was awful, filled, as others have noted, with every banal cliche and implausible scenario one can imagine. You not only can spot every plot movement a mile away, you don't even have to try to do it.

On the other, the wife and I were entertained anyway. It was fun watching iconic structures out west come tumbling down in full Lie-Max, 3D glory, and all the main characters were eye-candy.

So kind of like with Furious 7 and Mad Max, if you check your brain at the door, you'll have some fun. :P

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I always remember to "check my brain at the door" when I know I'm going into a theater to see a summer popcorn flick.

Mark

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:

Apples/oranges. Johnson isn't especially good in dramatic roles, but he has a terrific flair for comedy...

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
The wife and I found little 'fault' with but it as noted the story is cheese but the SFX were amazing. A big screen movie that you only need to see once in the theater.

Where's sensurround when you really need it?

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
This is the only movie that my nephew asks me if I have yet, every time he sees me. I guess I'll have to buy the 3D BD (even though it's a conversion) when it comes out just so he'll stop bugging me. :3dglasses:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks