Samsung TXL2791F vs Akai CFT2790

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Hoffman, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Mike Hoffman

Mike Hoffman Auditioning

Hello Everyone,

I am brand new to Home Theater and to this Forum... this is my first post, so be prepared for some pretty dumb questions from this end. I found the Akai CFT2790 at my local Sam's Club for $379. I have not found the Samsung locally... looks like about $500 delivered. Does anyone here actually have the Akai? I have read your post on the Samsung and am impressed with the positive comments... I was also impressed with the picture on the Akai. Question is... what am I giving up by saving the $120 and going with the Akai?.... One more question. I am also looking at getting my first DVD player. Do I understand that the progressive scan feature really does not work with these TV's? I also have some dumb audio questions which I will go post on the audio section.

Thanks,

Mike

2. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

The only difference between the Akai and the Samsung is the color of the case and the AKAI/Samsung name plates. Otherwise they are identical. The progressive scan will work with your TV, but only in interlaced mode. You need an EDTV or HDTV to be able to view a progressive 480P signal. Get the Akai for $379 or so from Sam's, I know quite a few who got it and are VERY happy. Hope this helps.

3. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Nothing, except brand recognition (and Samsung isn't really considered a premium brand anyway). The TV is the same, the remote is the same. Its a great TV for the money.

4. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

I believe the warranty is also shorter on the Akai. I think it's a 90 day parts/labor while the Samsung is 1 year/1year with in home service. I've got the samsung and it's a great set. If you're not worried about the shorter warranty, I'd say save the money and get the Akai.

5. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

I believe the warranty is also shorter on the Akai. I think it's a 90 day parts/labor while the Samsung is 1 year/1year with in home service. I've got the samsung and it's a great set. If you're not worried about the shorter warranty, I'd say save the money and get the Akai.

6. Tony_La

Tony_La Stunt Coordinator

Mike ... did you end up getting the Akai TV? If so, how's the experience with it been?