Samsung T150 and MX500

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff O., Oct 8, 2002.

1. Jeff O.

Jeff O. Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know if the Home Theater Master MX500 will control a Samsung SIR T150 without having to learn the commands? I have an opportunity to buy an SIR T150 cheap, but there is no remote. Samsung wants $110.00 for the replacement remote and for that price I figured I would see if a universal remote has a device code for it.

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    You might want to look at www.remotecentral.com. I have the Samsung and use a Pronto with no problem. I believe it also worked with my old Home Theater Master (it was based on SL-9000 but made for another component) that I had a while back. I'm sure there are other people who have them and would have no problem letting you borrow a remote. If you brought it into a Best Buy with a Samsung 160, they might even let you program a remote.

3. Jeff O.

Phil,
    Thanks a alot for the help. I was also considering the Pronto. I found a CCF file for the T150 at remotecentral that I guess should work. I am just not sure if I would like a touch screen remote, I like hard buttons (although I have never used a touch screen). As far as borrowing a remote, I was just afraid that I might lose everything when changing the batteries or something and it would be much easier if I got a remote that had the code already in it.
    Jeff

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Jeff, be happy to help further if you need something. I hear what you are saying about hard buttons, but you can't change how those read. With the Pronto I can add a button and put anything I want in a particular screen, i.e., instead of input nos. my front projector selector now has DVD, LD, VCR, HDTV, likewise my pre/pro screen now lists what sources are attaced and on my DVD screen I can control the preamp volume, surround mode, etc. The best part is that I have it on my hard drive with a back-up CD-RW so I don't have to worry about losing things except for a huge disaster. You will like the Samsung unit. I use it in my main system and in my bedroom system (controlled via Radio Shack pyramid RF device) on the other side of the wall via 'S' video (so I get 480i) and via a digital connection (converted the optical to digital and when I finish my basement I have RCAs going down there so I can use the composite video and analog outs on that system.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

6. Jeff O.

Thanks again for all the help.

Phil, just to make sure. If I downloaded a CCF file for the T150 from remote central, that includes the IR codes needed, correct? That way I wouldn't lose them. And by the way, I am dieing to try HDTV and I have heard the Samsung is good.

Ted, I currently use the One for all remote. No matter what I try, whenever I change batterys, I lose all of my key mappings and advanced codes. The MX500 must be better at that than the One for all.

Jeff

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hey jeff -
    yeah, i currently own the mx-500 (luh-ove it!) and it definitely keeps it's settings.
    [​IMG]

8. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Jeff, would assume so. My Pronto Files are all ".ccf" and when I make changes I am able to up and download them.

9. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

May I ask where you're picking the Samsung up from? If it's a public sale, I may be interested in getting one myself.

10. Jeff O.

Jeff,
    Sorry, its the last display model at a local outfit.

11. GregoriusM

GregoriusM Second Unit

The MX-500 will keep your customization - codes, macros, programming - for 5 years without batteries, so you certainly don't have to worry!

... Greg (See me in the HTM forum on Remote Central and say Hi! :) )

12. Kort Barlow

Kort Barlow Auditioning

Is the remote required for this unit or can all commands be done from the chasis?