What's new

Samsung Pedestal RPTV owners... what's your theater look like? (1 Viewer)

JeffHayes

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,

For those of you that have theaters centered around a rear projection set, how did you go about hiding the mass of wires that connect the tv to your theater receiver, video sources, etc...? Right now I have an unmitigated mess strewn from the equipment rack that sits off to the right of my DLP tv and I'm trying to think of a good way to hide the mess. I'm considering doing something like a fake half-wall that is about the same height as my equipment rack with some sort of punch out or cutout immediately behind the tv for all the cables to enter into the jack pack.

Anybody care to share how they got around the wiring mess with an RPTV?

FWIW, I have the Samsung HLP-5685, so a typical entertainment center that sits on either side of the set with a shelf across the top (credenza?) won't help very much due to the built in triangular glass pedestal that is part of the set itself.

Thanks,
Jeff

JeffHayes

Stunt Coordinator
Here's some pictures of the mess I have now. I'd appreciate any and all feedback, as I'd really like to have this room back to being usable in the next month or two so I can have the room ISF calibrated.

http://home.entouch.net/hayes/

Thanks,
Jeff

Marc L

Stunt Coordinator
i would start by getting longer interconnects so that you have no wire strung from your equipment that is off the ground. you want everything to lay on the ground. it would be helpful too if you did not have a large amount of excess wire to contend with. once you have the correct length of wire...you could wire tie (or tie wrap) the cables together neatly so you have one bundle of wire from the TV to the equipment rack...with the cables from the wall running straight down and into the bundle at a 90 degree angle. then get some black split wire tube and wrap that around the bundle. in the end...you will only see one black bundle...from the bottom of the rack to the bottom of the TV.

JeffHayes

Stunt Coordinator
Marc,

That's pretty much what I was considering if not coming up with an actual "hiding" method. I was looking at the braided sleeving that Techflex makes. I had also forgotten to mention that the pics shown were older and I now have cables that go straight down and across the floor to the tv. Thanks for the tip.

Regs,
Jeff

Marc L

Stunt Coordinator
to hide the wires...that would take some commitment. where is the room located in your house?

JeffHayes

Stunt Coordinator
Second floor, above the master bedroom. The wall behind the tv backs up our game room. It's basically FILLED with wires... not much room left in any of the "bays" between studs. I believe there are 26 runs of rg6, 5 of cat5e, 14 speaker wire.... that might be it.

Thanks,
Jeff

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Hi Jeff, I was looking at your Pics and in the 4th pic where you show the wall plate I have something similar by Hometech, I would like to know what did you use to plug into the Speaker wall plate on the wire end and where can I find them??
THNX
-Gerald

JeffHayes

Stunt Coordinator
Gerald,

IIRC, they are Acoustic Research banana plugs that I got at Home Depot or Lowes ages ago. They are the variety that you feed the copper strands up through the base, fold over the ends on the other side, then twist on the actual clip portion to make the connection. Good stuff. I'd just google for Acoustic Research and banana plugs and you should be able to find them. I'll try to run up there later today and make sure of the brand.

Regs,
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks