What's new

Samsung 1400 question........... (1 Viewer)

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Yes i said 1400 not 1500 !!

I was wondering if the 1400 decodes TrueHD in 5.1 channel as opposed to the 1500 which it looks like decodes it in TWO CHANNEL.

If the 1400 decodes in 5.1 chanel & has 5.1 analog outs, then I could hook it to my reciever and get PCM AND DD TrueHD and only be lacking DTS MA as far as lossless formats.

Please only answer if you know for sure---I've heard so many different things I'm afraid to know whicj to believe.

Thank you!

sptrout

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
Yes, the P1400 does decode TrueHD and passes it to its 5.1 analog output. I have used this configuration since last September.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Thanks sp...................

I just don't know why they would bring out the 1500 which now seems very likely, doesn't decode TrueHD except in TWO CHANNEL only.

Why, release a sucessor model with one important downgrade?

Oh well, more confused than ever.

sptrout

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
As I understand the P1500, it does not have 5.1 analog capability, therefore, no reason to decode TrueHD to anything other than 2.0.

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
According to some on AVSforum, the 1500 does decode True-HD to 5.1 through hdmi, only to 2 channel through the optical digital out.

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
And also some have said it will be upgraded to 2.0 and DTS-MA decoding later on with firmware update. That of course is stricktly a rumour but it claims it's BD Live ready so that part is most likely gonna happen. If it will eventually decode DTS-MA, I'll most likely break down when my Walmart gets it.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
See there again..............

Every chart I've seen for the Samsung 1500 shows 5.1 analog out.

The guy who reviewed the 1500 in this forum a couple of threads away says that it DOES NOT have 'analog outs' and then he a couple of posts later says it DOES decode TrueHD !!

This would be funny if it weren't so frustrating.

If it DOESN'T have 5.1 analog outs that would be another Downgrade from the 1400.
If it doesn'y have 5.1 analog why bother decoding TrueHD ??
If it has neither, then it has two downgrades from the 1400.

The Blu-ray site itself shows it as having Full TrueHD decoding AND 5.1 analog outs !
I've seen a review at another site and the same confusion is happening there.
I guess i could go to Wal-mart and at least see for myself if it has 5.1 analog outs. I guess the two guys who 'reviewed' this machine don't have the ability to post an image of the rear hookups.

I would have driven all over town by now to find it at Wal-mart if I was sure it had both features. Hell, I'd buy the 1400 if any store in my area would drop it below $400. I mean it has been out 10 months and the replacement model is on some shelves and they won't budge $50 ??

Oh well, I just hope that some unexpected emergency doesn't come up because i'm not putting this on my charge card when i've benn sitting here 6 weeks waiting for a new full-featured model or them to give an inch on price for an older model.

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
"If it doesn'y have 5.1 analog why bother decoding TrueHD ??"

Again, it can pass it decoded over HDMI to a reciever that has HDMI but doesn't decode itself.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
I see now...........

it decoes for benefit of recievers that don't decode TrueHd but still have an HDMI input.

But apparently it doesn't have 5.1 outputs as its predecessor did--according to some.

Clear as a bell.

sptrout

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve

Thanks Rich for correcting me. I always forget about HDMI passing analog; I just think of the 6 RCA jacks on the back of the P1400. One of these days I will grow up and get a HDMI 1.3 capable AVR and join the new world.

Robert A

Stunt Coordinator

HDMI is a digital interface. It can pass multi-channel digital audio that has been decoded in the player (or pass the raw bitstream). The analog conversion happens in the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks