DVD Upconversion Questions

Lee Scoggins

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Hi folks! Have some newbie 1080P questions...I have a Sony KDS 50A3000 and Samsung 1400 Bluray Player:

1. Is the upconversion on the Samsung considered good? It looks great on some DVDs but not as great on others.

2. Should I look for one with the HQV chip? I have 30 days to return the Samsung. Best Buy managers (2) told me this chip was included but the video forums tell me otherwise.

3. Would you recommend another upconverting BluRay player?

4. Should I just stay with this and get an Oppo? Is their upconversion tops?

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
1) How do you have the two connected? Depending on the connection, either the TV or the DVD player may be doing the upconversion.

2) "Up conversion" (we called it "line multiplying" in the old laserdisc days
is, of course, really a bit of an illusion. Neither a player nor a TV can add detail that isn't there in the source material. One or both can de-interlace an interlaced signal and then apply complicated algorithms to guess what the "missing" lines and pixels would contain - based on adjacent pixels - and try to fill them in as best it can. How good a job it can do with this is based, in part, on how good the source material is.

I have a Sony DVD player that upconverts over component but not over HDMI, and a (720p) JVC LCoS that scales all inputs to its native resolution if necessary. I have both component cables and HDMI connecting the two, and I can't see a difference between the set's built-in scaler and the player's upconversion. I can see a big difference in how different DVDs look. (Just as I can see big differences in how standard def TV program material looks depending on the source material.) Some of my newer anamorphic widescreen DVDs look stunning. (I've been watching a lot of CSI lately and the boxed sets look almost as good as the HD broadcasts.) Older stuff from poorer quality masters just looks OK. (OTOH a non-anamorphic, but well-mastered disc like Streets of Fire looks better than it has any right to.)

I don't think I'd trade in either the TV or the player based on some discs not looking good. I would play with the different connections to see which upconversion (if any) is better.

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Try connecting with component as well, check to see which connection upconverts from the player, and then see if there's a difference. Check both a "good" disc and a "bad" disc. Depending on what you find, you'll know which piece of equipment (if any) to replace.

Regards,

Joe

jleue

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
I have a question that maybe someone on here can answer. I have a Sony XRD 55 inch that is 1080p capable. I dont really now a lot about DVD players and which ones are best used with certain products. I guess my question is if anyone has any suggestions on which DVD upconversion would best work with my TV? I know that any blu-ray or HD dvd player would probably be the best, but iam actually not ready to fork out the dollars for something I dont know for sure is going to stick around.

Thank you,

Jason

PaulDA

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
If you are not willing to go HDM, then I would suggest an Oppo as they consistently rate highly for upconversion and they are reasonably priced (they also include hi-res audio capability, though that may not be a primary concern for you). If I were looking for an SD player right now, they would be on the top of my list.

Ron Reda

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member

Hey Lee,

I don't have any experience with your Samsung BR player, but I can easily recommend the PS3 as an excellent standalone BR player as well as a DVD upconverting player. For $400, it's a steal in my book. I just wish they would have included the BR remote with it.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zakotamota