What's new

Sam Peckinpah- Movies (1 Viewer)

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
There have been rumors of a Peckinpah boxset that could include BALLAD OF CABLE HOGUE and PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID later this year. A good question for the upcoming Warner chat.

Anchor Bay has a two-dsic special edition of OSTERMAN WEEKEND (featuring Peckinpah's original cut). MGM will have a new JUNIOR BONNER with commentairies form Peckinpah scholars (David Weddle, Garner Simmons, Paul Seydor).

If you are a Peckinpah fan, get a region free player because there's a lot of great stuff available now: anamorphic WILD BUNCH (R4, still a flipper, though); anamorphic CROSS OF IRON (R2, also with a greatly improved picture than the R1 release), STRAW DOGS Special Edition (R2, with many extras not on the Criterion release), BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA (R2 Japan), uncut anamorphic, properly framed CONVOY (R2, Germany).

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I didn't know that Junior Bonner would have a commentary; great news! It will feature an anamorphic transfer won't it?

---
So many films, so little time...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Not according to the specifications listed on different on-line retailer sites. However, that information could be wrong, but we are talking about MGM who has been inconsistent on releasing dvds in OAR.

Crawdaddy

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I am not a completist, and therefore do not collect films, even from my favorite directors, which left me cold when I saw them in a theater. OSTERMAN WEEKEND, BRING ME THE HEAD, KILLER ELITE are Peckinpaw movies that did nothing for me. But I am anxious to get CROSS OF IRON in widescreen, and can't wait for Warner Bros to release WILD BUNCH in a special edition. RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY and BALLAD OF CABLE HOGUE are two others I really want on DVD.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

In case anyone's interested in importing this title, Convoy is now available throughout R2 in proper configuration, so there's no need to import only a German version if you can get a better price elsewhere. I have the Scandinavian release which differs from the German version in only the selection of optional subtitles that are offered. Paid €5 for the disc.

BarryS

Second Unit
I'm hoping for a Warner 2-disc SE of The Wild Bunch. I'm sure they'll get to it eventually. I've been tempted to buy the current DVD, but I know that there will be a better one eventually.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Although I would like a special edition of The Wild Bunch, I'm always preferring the studios to concentrate on the films that aren't available at all yet on DVD.

So my wish list includes Ride the High Country (1962), indeed, as well as Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (1973) and The Ballad of Cable Hogue (1970).

BTW, for some reason I never saw Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo García (1974) and I wonder how good that film really is.

Cees

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor

I highly doubt it. So far, none of the MGM re-issues of Anchor Bay licensed ABC films have received new anamorphic transfers.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ah no! Confirmed here, Junior Bonner will be non-anamorphic; they spring for a commentary, but fail to give us a decent presentation? :angry:

---
So many films, so little time...

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Wow, "The Killer Elite" did nothing for you? I thought it was damned good. Let's not forget that the original Steve McQueen/Ali McGraw version of "The Getaway" is also a Pekinpah classic.

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
I only have the Wild Bunch Director's Cut laserdisc,in AC-3 Dolby Digital widescreen - my precious:D

Dorian Gray

Stunt Coordinator
The wild bunch (director's cut) definitely deserves a 2-disc SE "à la" Unforgiven with a brand new anamorphic transfer on a dual layer disc.

And I'm with you on Ride the high country, The ballad of Cable Hogue and Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (director's cut).
I assume they're all Warner titles, aren't they ? I do like this boxset idea ! ;)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I'm really hope that this is a great year for Peckinpah fans. There is reason to believe it may be, what with all the rumours flying around, but I guess we'll just have to wait.

He is one of the greatest American filmmakers of all time, but there has been a few lacklustre DVD editions of his films and some not released at all so far...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks