Salo

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan_M_M, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Ryan_M_M

Ryan_M_M Stunt Coordinator

I have never seen this film, but can have the opportunity of seeing it. Judging from the feedback it has gotten, I don't think I'll bother. Is this truely one of the sickest films ever made? People I know with strong stomachs were turned off by it. What exactly makes horrid?

2. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

3. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

It's still a bit out there. It depends on what sickens you though. It does, however, have style and some of the camera work is interesting.
    If you list some other movies that have and have not grossed you out, I can tell you if you'll be put off by Salo. Otherwise, "Will I be disgusted by Salo?" is as hard to answer as "Will I like {insert any other film}?". [​IMG]

4. Ryan_M_M

It's more curiousity than anything. I don't like grossed out films. The film was lately screened on FilmFour over here, which is surprising since it was banned in the UK at one time.

5. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Yeah, and it's not a very good movie either. Very poorly made and sloppily put together. Avoid this one, I wouldn't waste my time.

6. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

Salo is a load of crap! [​IMG]

7. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

Unless you are into scat flicks and torture, stay away from this one.

8. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    Just in case you aren't picking up on this, Salo is not a good date movie.

I felt VERY uneasy just watching it by myself. Like A Clockwork Orange rape scenes uneasy.

9. andrew markworthy

The story is based upon the works of the Marquis de Sade, and if anything is milder than his writings. It's set in Fascist Italy, and consists of a group of fascists trapped in a villa and gaining gratification from the systematic sexual torture of a group of teenagers. Amongst the delightful scenes:

people being forced to eat human excrement

a woman being raped whilst having her scalp cut off

A lot of the activities portrayed are very explicit, but crudely done (if you see what I mean). E.g. the scalping very obviously uses prosthetics. However, although obviously 'faked', the types of depravity and violence are presented in an unrelenting way (save for some scenes of cod philosophising) and the cumulative effect is of being stuck in a sewer.

Personally, I wouldn't ban Salo, but I cannot see any redeeming qualities in it.

10. Ryan_M_M

I think I will be giving this one a miss. The scalp scene described put me off. I understand what those guys meant about this film.

11. Chris Lynch

Chris Lynch Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like one of those movies that a small part of me is glad that it exists to be challenging, but the rest of me will absolutely prevent me from seeing it.[​IMG]

12. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

13. Yiduo Yu

Yiduo Yu Auditioning

The best review that I heard about this movie is : It's a movie that you must see, but it is also a movie you can see ONLY ONCE!!!
    The movie is kinda gross, however, Pasolini is a really talented director, I have to say. Think about the last massacre scene, with the background music, the editing of that scene is just fabulous by following the rhythm of the music.

14. John Sturge

John Sturge Stunt Coordinator

15. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

I've seen Decameron, Canterbury Tales, Arabian Nights, and Salo... and boy do they suck! I can't see any talent in Pasolini, except that the cinematography in Arabian Nights and Decameron was decent, so technically he filmed well (but how much of this was his cinematographer, and how much was him?) but otherwise, these films sucked. I only kept Salo because it's Criterion (yeah so what - sue me) and it's nice to have something on hand to throw in that will run off unwanted guests.

16. Grant B

Grant B Producer