What's new

SACD Players: Buy now or wait? (1 Viewer)

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
I've been hearing lots about this format but don't know much about the players. Is there an SACD player that is as recommended as say the RP91 is for DVD? A unit that is of great value which you will be hard pressed to find something better within a certain price range?

JoshS

Stunt Coordinator
Howard,

If you don't want or need multichannel I think the Sony '333es is the value leader so far, At about $500.00 it's a bargain.

If you want multichannel I would look into the Sony '555es. You can find it for @$800.00 online. I don't have any expereince with this machine, just what I have heard.

Oh yeah, the '333es sounds awesome.

Good luck,

Josh

Chip E

Screenwriter
"Can the 333ES still be found new at any dealers??? If so, where???"
Michael,
You might get lucky and find one but, they are discontinued.Try www.oade.com I bought the SCD-C555ES multichannel SACD player there roughly seven weeks ago and couldn't be more pleased with it. ($800.00 shipped) These two units are almost identical in build quality... Great SACD & Redbook playback. A quality piece. (either one) The 333ES is two channel only. I wanted to do both. ;)
Good luck & Happy Holiday's.
Howard,
You might check out the SCD-C222ES too http://www.oade.com/hifi/SACD/sony_scdc222es.html
or the SCD-CE775 (not an "ES" product)Link Removed

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Chip, can you comment on the sound quality of the 555 when playing regular 2 channel CD's? I'm looking to upgrade that area of my system and am wondering how it sounds when NOT playing a SACD, seeing as I have over 400 regular CD's and they would still dominate the majority of my listening even after purchasing a player like this.

Thanks.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Hey Evan,
When i went looking to upgrade my CD changer i was mainly concerned about (and still am) Redbook playback. The SCD-C555ES sounds absolutely incredible with regular cd's. So good, that i stopped using digital out to my B&K 307 (which has some pretty darn good DAC as far as i'm concerned) With the 555ES, i now use analog out for two channel utilizing the players DAC's...it sounds that good. I have no regrets with this unit and will keep it! ;) I went from a $150.00 Technic's 5 disc changer to a Sony CA80ES 5 disc changer (which was pretty good but nowhere near the 555) to a Sony M-333ES 400 disc mega changer (loaded 10 disc's, hardly used it...it's boxed up) to the SCD-C555ES....plus, i have Two channel/multichannel SACD capability...which i really like. (actually, i had two channel SACD capability before that, owning the Sony S9000ES dvd player) I personally don't think that at it's price point of $775.00 from Oade Bros. that it can be beat. I'm now content.(for now..hahaha) :)
Happy Holiday's

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Since I haven't bought my DVD player yet (was going to buy the RP91) I've started taking a look at the Sony NS900V. How does that compare with the RP91 in terms of DVD playback. I don't know much about SACD but doesn't having a multichannel one also means I can listen to 2channel SACDs as well? If so then I don't see a reason why I wouldn't want the capability except perhaps to save some money. I'm more interested in SACDs than DVD-A so if the NS900V is better or close to the RP91 in terms of DVD playback then I think I'll choose the sony player instead. Any thoughts? I need to buy my DVD player soon.

J

John Morris

Howard: I have the c555es and a RP91 and if you can swing it, I'd recommend the same for you. That setup gives you the option of both SACD and DVD-A thereby giving you the opportunity to listen to either depending on what artist releases their stuff on which format. And yes, the multichannel SACDs also contain a stereo track and yes, the 555es will also play in stereo as well.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
So having a multichannel SACD player will just give me the option of multichannel playback and would give me the same 2ch performance?

I want to know about the Sony NS900V and how it compares to RP91 in terms of DVD playback and how it compares to the 333ES and 555ES in terms of SACD playback. At this time I'm not enough of a music nut to pay that much money for an SACD player. I will probably have to wait for years to get an SACD player if prices remain high like that. Therefore since I have not bought my DVD player yet I want to know about the NS900V which does DVD and multichannel SACD. But of course if the DVD player isn't at all as good as the RP91 then I'll pick up the RP91 and just wait for my SACD purchase. DVD playback is my first priority.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Chip, you have gotten me genuinely excited here! I think the 555ES might be my next upgrade seeing as I need a new CD player anyway and SACD would just be a bonus in my opinion. Great sound is what I'm after and you've painted an awfully nice picture here.

Hey John...using both the RP-91 and the Sony player, what are you using for processing? Do you have a unit that has two pairs of analog 5.1 inputs or are you using some kind of a switcher? Or, are you just getting up off the couch and moving cables when you want to switch from SACD to DVD-A?

J

John Morris

Evan: So far, I made a choice to go with SACD for 5.1 analog playback. That decision was based not only on the discs I have so far, but also on these other factors:

- the SACD player sounds better for Redbook CD

- the SACD discs that I have so far are impressive sounding

- if I put my RP-91 in my audio rack, I'd need to buy a 45' set of component video cables

- if I hooked both up for 5.1 switching, I'd need a pair of RS audio switchers(not excited about passing the signals through those)and another 12 interconnects.

So, for now I am using only the 555es for music and the RP-91 for DVD playback only. Probably, as I see some DVD-A discs that I want that aren't available in SACD, I'll put out for the additional Outlaw PCA interconnects and the BetterCable SS component cables...

Chip E

Screenwriter
"Chip, you have gotten me genuinely excited here!"

Glad to here it!.........gonna pick up a 555? Make it a Christmas present to yourself... I always do that(no matter how much i spent all year, lol..)

Chip E

Screenwriter
I always get shit twisted after a Birds game & 12 pack...

sheesh, caught myself and thought i edited it before anyone saw it....hahahahaha.

J

John Morris

I always get shit twisted after a Birds game & 12 pack...
Chip: I know the feeling well. We had a Christmas Party Friday night and after everything but the vodka was gone, we moved into my office area, and manning 4 different systems passing through my firewall and onto the internet through my cable modem... we started posting, and posting and posting. As it progressed, some of my buds got downright nasty. The really bad part was that all of the systems were signed on as me... I sure got some well deserved hate mail and almost got kicked off a few forums by early Sat morning. Some of the stuff I am still learning about... but thankfully, alot of it was deleted before many folks got to read it... I hope. I'm now a firm believer of breathalizers on keyboards. Type safely! :b

Chip E

Screenwriter
Lol John.... I didn't get nasty but i said something rediculous about the 900V... ahhh well, nighty night all...zzzzZZZZZZZzzzzZZZZZZzzzzzz..
Jack,
thanks for the nod ;)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Evan, I too can vouch for the quality of the 'C555ES as a redbook CD player. I bought one about six weeks ago from OneCall for $824 delivered. It is a great unit in every respect. I bought it as much to have a great CD changer as for multi-channel SACD capability. Like Chip, I replaced a Sony CDP-CA80ES CD changer with the 'C555ES. As much as I liked the 'CA80ES, the 'C555ES is far, far better as a CD player. Given the build quality, capability as a CD player, the ability to play stereo and multi-channel SACDs, and the five-year warranty, the 'C555ES at $800 is a no-brainer in my opinion.

Paul_Psutka

Stunt Coordinator
Howard, if you don't want to spend much, but want a SACD player and need a DVD player too...

the Sony DVP-NV500V retails for only $299.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
If I may attempt a subtle intrusion for the SACD guys...

The release of that Roger Waters' SACD has made it worthwhile for me to investigate multichannel SACD for the HT system. I wouldn't mind investing $600 in the SCD-C222ES, but if I'm going into the multi-channel inputs of an Onkyo 575x receiver (which I really don't plan on replacing any time soon), would the ES be worth it over the NV500V or the CE775? As far as I know, those analog inputs don't digitize the input signal, but it does pass through unavoidable circuitry.

Also, if possible, could someone summarize the "bass-management" capabilities of these players? I assume they're rudimentary at best, but I can't find any details.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks