What's new

Upgrade now, wait for HD-DVD/Blu Ray or should I just shoot myself? (1 Viewer)

Gabe Goddard

Auditioning
I have a love/hate relationship with technology (as do many others I'm sure). I'm going to upgrade my DVD player, although my TV does not have DVI/HDMI. My first question is should I wait for HD-DVD/Blu ray? My guess is that I would have to wait a couple of years before things are competitively priced and a lot of titles are available. (I realize that there will be some sort of launch in Dec. '05 and that many studios have joined the bandwagon....of course, that says nothing about the fact that HD-DVD and Blu ray are competitors (can anyone say Beta v. VHS?)...but I digress.)

I realize that if I wait (for the aforementioned), I'll probably have to upgrade the tv in order to take advantage of the enhanced picture (i.e. I need a tv with a DVI/HDMI connection).

I really would like to get something now...but I also want DVD-A and SACD. I'd hate to spend a lot of coin on a universal player now, when I'm just going to change everything in a few years. OTOH, I would love to buy a smokin CD player (DVD-A and SACD compatible)...but it seems like if I get a really good Universal CD player, I might as well get a DVD player thrown in as well (as the majority of universal players seem to also include DVD-Video). I can always get a HD-DVD/Blu ray player later and just use the Universal player as a CD player.

Any thoughts/suggestions/comments? Anyone know a good gun dealer?

Gabe

Max F

Second Unit
There are a few inexpensive universal players out now. Just get one of those to tie you over until the new stuff comes out.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I can vouch for the Zenith 318. Pre firmware gets you component upscaling with no limits. Post firmware gets you a DVI performance that you really won't see beaten anywhere in the

Sam_S

Agent
I did the same thing... and I've decided to be a late-phase early adopter if I early adopt at all. The $1000 player panasonic plans to release later this year will probably only have a handfull of Blu Ray DVD's around... when the substantially more expensive HD-DVD unit hits the US shores, it will probably not only be 2 years from now... but by then there will already be DVD's out for the player when it hits the market (or so reason would dictate to me, allowing the HD-DVD marketer to learn from Panasonic's mistakes).

The other reason I'm letting myself upgrade now, and not worrying about Blu Ray- is that the new Playstation will have Blu Ray... so I can just pick up a gaming system i'd buy in the first place, and i'm already in-the-mix of the HD warz. Rumor is too that the new Xbox will be HD-DVD... so I might not need to buy a dedicated High Def DVD player until after the new xbox and playstations are being upgraded/phased out. That should buy me 2-3 years... and that's enough for me to want to upgrade to a GOOD DVD player now.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
My 3 year old player just went out a week ago, and I was in the same boat. After a week of reading and going one way or the other, I decided to buy a Sony DVP-NC875V to tide me over. Its a respectable $130 Progressive Scan carousel that also plays SACD. For the money, I wont mind upgrading it later this year now that we've seen some of the HD-DVD launch titles.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
You may want to address your display first. You can enjoy your upgrade via audio, DVD-A and SACD, but the picture may have nominal results. A new display will allow you to enjoy your current DVD player as well as a new player. A new display with all the connections will allow you to enjoy even the cheapest player with progressive scan. Your t.v. with all the connections available HD Component, HDMI will have you ready for the HD-DVD or Blue Ray, which ever comes first.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
My only concern, Jerome, is that addressing the display first is far more expensive than getting a budget universal player. Not only will DLP prices have come down even further in, say, a year's time when we finally, hopefully have hi def DVD on shelves, but at that point AACS will be finalized and we will know more than we do now about connectivity issues. Right now, we're all speculating on the 'no-1080i-over-component-only-over-HDMI' issue. It's very possible a new HDCP wrinkle might obviate even the HDMI connections on a limited number of current players and sets. I'd hate to make such a potentially significant purchase based on such speculation.

-p

Marc LaPalme

Agent
arent they merging both technologies?

i understand that the big 4 are at the tables now negotiating contracts and such to come up with a new disc that will incorporate both technologies.

this has been in the works for a long time now and its one reason why neither technology has been booming as it should.

eh... so i heard. we'll see i guess.

i know i'm waiting.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The groups were deadlocked over the layer depth and they never reached a resolution. So merger possibility is gone. So I'm waiting it out too - will probably pick up a PS3, though I might be too busy enjoying the XBox 360.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Guo et al.:

Is it safe to say that the PS3--due to a desire to be accessible to gamers and to compete with the XBox--will probably be introduced at a price point (~$300?) far below what the first dedicated Blu-ray players (~$1,000)?

What was the PS2's initial cost . . . ~$250?

-p

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I believe the PS2 and XBox debuted at 299.99. Console makers are known to take a loss on the hardware, so I'd be very surprised if the PS3 were more than $350. I think there would be a huge uproar if it were.

David_p_S

Grip
I think Sony announced that the ps3 will come in as the highest priced console to date when it launches in Japan.

My Panny RP82 just died so I am debating to get it's new replacement the S97 or to get something cheap to get me by until the new breed of "HD" dvd players come out. I think I'm gonna go ahead and get the S97 and wait a while for the format war to settle.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thx, Guo.

Does anyone recall Costco stocking--or, indeed, did anyone buy--a PS or PS2 at Costco?

If Costco stocks the PS3 (and it appears that they will if this link to register to be sent more information as the release date approaches is any indication: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...pnav=&cat=&s=1), then getting a PS3 at Costco may be an excellent way to get Blu-ray AND SACD playback in one unit for

John_RO

Stunt Coordinator
The Panny s77 can be had for $200 and is virtually the same as the venerable s97. I plan on getting one if my el crapo cv-52 dies anytime soon.

David_p_S

Grip
Thanks for the info John_RO. I work for a Panasonic division so I get a discount on panasonic products and the 97 ends up being about $200 with tax and shipping, and the 77 is only $10 less.

I was still unsure if I wanted to spend even $200 being so close to the debut of the HD dvd, so I went to best buy and bought a cheapie sony ns50p. Man I can't believe how much better the picture was on my old panasonic rp82! The sony looks kind of.... I don't know how to explain it, so I'll put it in elite technological speak, it looks kind of fuzzy, like the glamour shots you can get at a mall for 1/10th the price of a real photo studio. Even my wife noticed.

Anyways, I went ahead and ordered the S97. I think HD DVD won't be affordable for a couple years anyways.

David_p_S

Grip
I got my S97 today. It definately blows that cheap model sony out of the water. It's hard to say if it's any better or worse than my old RP82, since that one hasn't been working for a few weeks, but I'm pretty satisfied with it. I think this was the right move. Anyways when this one breaks again in a year and a half :rolleyes:then it will really be time to buy an HD-DVD! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks