What's new

S-video (1 Viewer)

jim_m

Auditioning
Newbie alert, newbie alert..

I'm on the market for a Home Theater receiver. I have a Sony KV32V40 Tv and a Sony DVPS300 DVD player. Both have S-video, optical cable, and RGY composite connections. How important is it that the receiver I buy, has an S-video connection ? (I'm looking at Denon AVR1403 and a Yamaha)

Can someone give me a quick overview of how I should connect the DVD/TV/receiver together ? (ie. do I switch everything through the receiver, and if so, what are the best connections for video and sound ?

thanks !

FeisalK

Screenwriter
jim,

hello an welcome to HTF :)

First off are you sure the DVP-S300 has component connections? also I recall reading somewhere it doesn't do DTS digital out. (this is a review of the '98 model)

In general - if you don't have more video sources than inputs on your TV, IMHO the best route is probably direct to TV. Chances are you will have a DVD player, Cable/satellite receiver, VCR and maybe a PS2 or x-box?

In order of pic quality - component connections, S-video, then composite. Not switching means you won't have to worry about the receiver's video capabilities. If you have more sources than inputs, I think you should still connect the DVD direct to TV and switch the less high quality sources.

This is of course assuming your receiver doesn't have upsampling capabilities- if it does, switching may present you with better options/pic quality.

Audio-wise, you can connect either the coax or optical for digital sound from your DVDP to the receiver. This will pass the DD/DTS signals. (opinions vary as to the quality of either connection, with i think coax winning most votes from audiophiles) Again, DTS depends on whether your DVD player is actually capable of outputting the DTS signals.

hope this helps!

jim_m

Auditioning
I stand corrected (no surprise) based on the review link you provided, which states....

For video hookup, two S-Video and two composite RCA connections are provided. For audio, both coax and optical Dolby Digital(AC3) connections are provided (No integrated decoder), along with two sets of analog RCA connections. Component video and DTS outputs are unfortunately not supported on this model.

I mistakenly used the word component versus composite. oops.

Let my query continue. So, the DVDS300 doesn't have an integrated DTS decoder, but the AV receiver I buy will - does the absence of a DTS output mean the DTS decoder on the receiver is useless to me ? If I want DTS (which I do) do I need to buy a DVD player with the DTS outputs ?

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Jim

I sometimes transpose component and composite too ;)

New players nowadays can pass the DD/DTS signals to the receiver; many of them even have onboard DD/DTS decoders.

blow $180 on the Pioneer 563 and you will also get SACD/DVDA capability - and if i am not mistaken component video.

Sounds like an excellent entry-level DVD player to start with, and at a price not so painful to get rid of or replace should you be less than happy with it ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks