What's new

S-video vs. component (1 Viewer)

steve_mr

Grip
Is there a difference in using S-video connections vs. component video?

Does one produce better/worse quality?

What are the advantages/disadvantages to either?

Steve

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Yes, you simply have to go and look that up in our FAQ.

Now a quick reply: although component is thought to be slightly better even than S-VHS, the difference is really almost negligeable. The signal, as recorded, on DVD IS the S-VHS signal and in fact is logically equal to component signal (it takes a very straightforward, simple and direct way to decode S-VHS to the three colours).

The advantage of S-VHS is technical: it can be used without any modification by B&W equipment as well to get a proper image.

Cees

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
In a real world test, I was using both a 20' s-vid and 20' component cables. I was able to quickly switch from one to the other to note the differences. My test sample was from A Bug's Life when hopper says "Do I look stupid to you" and leans toward the screen.

With s-video, there was a slight bleeding around hopper's body that disappeared with the component connection. Apart from that, I could not tell any other differences at the time.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
If you have a choice, use component video rather than S-video.

Component video allows for better chrominance horizontal resolution (sharper color changes from left to right). The S-video standard is for about 160 changes all the way across, for DVD it is 360. (The 1080i HDTV standard allows up to 960 color changes going across) There is no arbitrary limit to chrominance resolution in component video other than the quality of the electronics so component video can handle all what DVD can offer.

If you don't see a difference, there is a good chance the circuitry in the TV isn't good enough to show it.

S-video is more susceptible to incorrect color since an additionla circuit, a color decoder, is involved at the receiving end. A deliberate incorrect decoding called red push is often encountered in TV sets in an effort to make skin color more pleasing.

S-video is almost always converted to component video which is then converted to RGB, all within the TV set. A small number of TV sets convert S-video to something else (Y, I, Q which is roughly orange, white, and green) and then to RGB.

Another cause of bleeding is chroma delay. The color is slightly to the left or right of the object being colored and this can be mistaken for misconvergence. There may or may not be service menu entries to fix this.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Dave_WY

Auditioning
When I bought my component cables to replace my s-video cable I was able to keep both hooked up. I did a freeze frame on Shrek and was able to switch back and forth between the inputs. I did notice better color, brighter and cleaner colors. Is it worth the extra money? I say yes since I already blew the bucks on the tv and dvd player with progresive scan. This is cheap when compared to those and all the little things add up to a better picture.
Dave

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I forgot to mention that often times you will see colour differences but usually each input can be calibrated independently so this would clear that up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks