What's new

first gamer set-up (1 Viewer)

twosevennine

Auditioning
Real Name
Cody Stauffer
First off, I do not know too much about home audio/video. I am a car audio guy. Front stage + sub is all i know. Have no idea how this 5.1/7.1 or whatever works.

The project:
Want to make a killer gaming set up in a room about 20ftx30ft. I am currently using a PS3 and a Sharp Aquos 40" http://www.crutchfield.com/p_28440E67/Sharp-LC-40E67UN.html?tp=161. So I have the console and tv. Now i need everything else. I have about $1000 to work with.

The questions:
Dont know much about this digital stuff. 5.1 vs 7.1? HDMI vs Component? I know that digital is all about 0's and 1's so does it matter the quality of the cables? 2way vs 2.5way vs 3way towers? Center Channel? What receivers should i consider?

The design:
Want to build some sweet looking towers using maybe CSS SDX7 www.creativesound.ca/details.php as midbass and MarkAudio ALPAIR5 www.creativesound.ca/details.php as mid/ tweet. I think the looks of these drivers are incredible. Any other cool looking stuff out there? How would i build the center channel? As far as sub goes i think i want to use 3 of 4 of those SDX7's in a common chamber port design sitting under the tv stand that matches the towers. Bad idea? How much will the surrounds be used? Can i go cheaper in that area?

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Have you built speakers before? You probably know that making boxes and putting in drivers (speakers) is pretty easy, but do you know how to build the crossover? Crossover design is probably 75% of speaker building.

For the video signal, you absolutely want to go HDMI. My PS3 is pretty amazing on the 1080p 65" TV. And the surround sound while gaming gives a whole new level of realism.

I would say, if you can figure a budget for your speaker building, and then compare that to what you could get already-made, you can decide which way to go. With what you have left, go for a very good receiver. You'll just have to do a bit of shopping, and compare features to decide which receiver.

$1000 will get you a decent mid-power receiver and a set of inexpensive speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks