What's new

S-video problems in Sony Trinitron (1 Viewer)

Eric_Robins

Auditioning
I have had a 27" Sony Trinitron TV (KV27S45) for about 2.5 years and only recently, I have noticed small "wavy" lines over the entire screen when I am using the S-video input. When I remove the S-video input, in favor of the RCA input, the lines dissappear (with the obvious loss in picture quality). I have tried 2 different inputs (DSS and DVD) with no difference, as well as three different S-video cables. For some reason, depending upon the physical position of the cable, the definition of these "lines" seems to dimminish, but never quite goes away.
While I know I can use the RCA video input ......
Any experience/suggestions?
By the way, for some unknown reason, when I bought the TV, I decided to purchase the 4yr protection plan, WHICH I NEVER DO. Just my luck, huh? The one time I do buy the protection plan, the item breaks. :)
Thanks.

MattSherlock

Stunt Coordinator
I am having the same problem with my Toshiba 27 inch that is several years old. I have used the S-video connection most of the time and I tried different cables too but still get the waves of lines going up. It's most noticeable when the screen is completely black.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
It's trial and error time!
Somewhere to start with, check for interference from other devices (you men6ionee that moving the cable caused the complesion of the lines to change):
1. Turn off all other appliances, clocks, sound systems, A/V receiver, and gadgets around the house.
2. Unplug everything except the power cord from the TV and move the TV to the middle of the room.
3. Connect the DVD player with an S-video cable and play a disk.
If this gets rid of the wavy lines, then you can start turning other things back on and see if/wnen the lines come back.
And don't forget 4. Turn fridge and deep freezer(s) back on if you turned these off.
Other video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Maximil

Agent
Sorry, I don't have an answer either, but am having the same problem with trying to run my PC through S-vid on my Tosh 55HX70. RCA cables work fine for the PC, but make things way too blurry. My PS2/DVD-Player workes fine on S-vid though.
I had the same issue with my old Magnavox too when using S-vid for my PS2, but only when I used the RCA sound cable at the same time (using the separate fiber cable to my stereo fixed the problem there).
I'm sure it has something to do with some sort of interference. I hope someone will be able to give us some pointers...

Eric_Robins

Auditioning
Except, the degree intensity of the lines seems to change w/o anything else changing. Could it be the humidity?

JoshBlevins

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
I had a similar problem with my Mitsubishi WS-65907 and it would come and go for no apparent reason. It turns out that my Xerox would come on to print or receive faxes and stay on for a certain amount of time before going back to the energy saving mode, and that was causing the wavy line problem.
By the way, if anybody has a Xerox XK50cx or comparable product, do you know of a way to turn it off? The bulb in the scanner/copier stays on for well over a day after the machine was in use before shutting off. While this makes an excellent night light, it seems a waste to leave it on when not in use.
Josh

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks