S-video or Component Video

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LesterLiu, Jul 1, 2002.

1. LesterLiu

LesterLiu Extra

is there a difference between what video output I use? I have a comcast digital cable box and it has component video and a s-video output. is one better then the other?

2. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Definitely use the component video whenever you can.I don't remember all the details behind it but the component out will give you more resolution & better black level retention.

3. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

...may I butt in?

Cable tv set-top boxes will come with video COMPOSITE -- a single RCA plug cable often yellow-tipped.

COMPONENT, the phrase used mistakenly here, is a 3-wire version and in typical DVD player use gives your best picture quality.

Now, back to the main question.

The new TV STBs also can come with S-Video as well as composite. S-Video usually is superior in pic. quality than composite, so use this first.

4. LesterLiu

LesterLiu Extra

Bill, you're right, it's composite video. whoops! gotta start learning the lingo! Thanks for the advice, I'll use the s-video output.

5. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Try both and see, s-vid might not offer a better picture in this particular case.

Strange because s-vid is a far superior means to send video to a display. FAR SUPERIOR.

But in my case with my cable box the dot-crawl from using the box's s-video is too much to handle. I use composite or the TVs tuner (65" HDTV)

Tell us what you think!