What's new

Rush R30 DVD details (1 Viewer)

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
I wonder if the dvd producers could have gotten the entire concert onto the disc if they had left off the PCM track. I normally want a pcm track on concert dvds, but if it could have gotten the 8 cut songs back in, I would have been ok with it since the 5.1 track is good.

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
The 5.1 sounds WAY too "juiced". Listen to PCM if you want to hear all the instruments clearly. By the way, this is an excellent release.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
I saw them live on this tour at the Hollywood Bowl and at Irvine during 2004, and the 5.1 sounds MUCH more like what the live experience was like for me.

The interviews were pretty fascinating. These guys are so out of the public eye, if not reclusive, it was a little bit of a window on what the guys are like and how they've maintained their creativity over the years.

BTW, anybody figure out the Easter Eggs yet??

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

I just got home, but I found both. Here is how to get to them:

On the second disc, at the main menu two options are listed (Interviews & Anthem Vault) press the right arrow key 3 times, and this will now highlight a third option, "Rush Hits St. John's". This a short clip of fans being interviewed.

The second easter egg is on the same disc. Go to the "Interviews" section and go to the sign in the lower right corner and highlight "The Anthem Vault One". Again, press the right arrow key 3 times and this will highlight the silhouette of the man standing to the left in yellow, and will have the option of "Alex's Interview for Artist of the Year" listed. This clip features additional footage of Alex's interview.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
I found the Alex interview last night. He is one funny dude. Thanks for the heads-up, Brett!

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

I especially liked the speech at the Juno Hall of Fame induction ceremony with Alex. "Uh oh...". I kind of felt bad for Geddy and Alex after Neil's prepared speech. They should have made him go last.

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
I finally got a chance to sit down and give this DVD a spin. The picture is awesome, probably the best I've seen in a concert DVD. As far as sound goes, I prefer the PCM Stereo track. As someone earlier mentioned, if you want to hear all of the intstruments, then listen the PCM track. I think the crowd noise is toned down a bit more with the PCM track.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
The second disc is priceless for me. I loved seeing those interviews. It wasn't until after I popped the disc in that I realized that I had never heard the band do anything but sing. It was very cool to hear them talk about their views about music and their careers.

Loved the concert itself, btw. Excellent stuff.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Just rec'd Neil Peart's "Anatomy Of A Drum Solo" 2-Disc DVD set.

Now that everyone has caught their breath from the stunning R30 release, it's time for another dip into the Rush pool...

This outstanding release complements R30 wonderfully. Video quality is excellent - looks HD-sourced and is 16:9. In fact, the footage from the R30 concert looks *better* on this release than on the R30 DVD (from a compression standpoint).

And yes, the "O Baterista" drum solo footage from Rush In Rio is 16:9!

I've yet to ingest the entire thing...I'll be back with more comments as soon as I can...

Here's more info on "Anatomy"...

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
I just had a chance to compare the 5.1 and PCM audio of the DVD and I have to say that I was more impressed with the 5.1 recording. The 5.1 seemed cleaner, more defined and deeper in the low end, whereas the PCM recording sounded a little muddied. My theater is designed for an awesome 5.1 experience though.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/gall...g2_itemId=1096

David

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
The PCM audio is very compressed, very loud. I don't know if there's distorion or not, but it's definetly LOUD.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
On a Rush related note, did anyone see the Dan Neil column in their local papers last week?

It was a piece devoted to the demise of the Rock Concert Drum Solo, and the amazing part to me was that he actually got Neil Peart to sit and chat about the subject.

Here is a link to the LA Times edition. You should not need to subscribe of anything to read it.

http://www.latimes.com/features/prin...lines-magazine

As for R30 in general, I don't want to start another Rio vs. R30 debate, but I do prefer the performances on Rio; the band seems more energized by the insane crowds in Brazil versus their German counterparts.

Having said that, the performance of Red Barchetta on R30 is pretty much worth the price of admission all by itself.

Brian

Nathan Eddy

Second Unit

Hell, start another debate! I've never seen one. Which board have you been reading?

I tend to agree with your assessment. The boys looked old and tired on R30, the complete opposite of Rio. But you can't complain about the sound and image quality. This release is heavenly. And yes, Red Barchetta is spectacular.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Nathan, you are probably right...there really has been no protracted debate on that subject. My comment was probably influenced by having slogged through dozens of Rio threads. I can say without a doubt that Rio is one seriously polarizing DVD! But, I like it, even taking into account the poor video and pumped up crowd noise. The bass pedals on Tom Sawyer shake me room, which is as it should be! And while I won't start a Rio vs. R30 thread, I will be powerless to resist if someone else does;-)

But its Rush, which to me means its pretty much all good...it just varies in its degree of goodness.

A couple other observations...

For some time, the boys have been doing 2112 tuned down a bit (1/2 a step, I think, for you musician types). Ged just can't nail some of the high notes anymore. Maybe the casual fan does not notice, but it just sounds weird to me. I noticed it straight away when they played in Albuquerque during the Vapor Trails tour. I am almost inclined to say retire 2112 from live performance. Blasphemy? Perhaps.

And I would also say that there are a few other tracks as well. On R30, Spirit of Radio comes to mind...Ged is just not in good voice on that one.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks