What's new

Rush R30 DVD details (1 Viewer)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Quick question... The one thing that bugged me about Rio was they could not seem to keep the camera on one performer more than 2 or 3 seconds. That bouncing camera movement ends up totally distracting me because I like to actually "watch" a musician, especially those of Rush's calibre.

Is R-30 similar ?

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I will have to take another look at both. I do not recall being distracted by the editing of R30, but not having watched Rio for a while, I can't say how they compare.

I don't recall finding issue with Rio, but as I said, its been a while.

I do know what you mean though. I picked up Aerosmith's "You Gotta Move" a while back, and it quite frankly made me dizzy to watch it. How anyone can think that someone would want to watch that kind of editing baffles me.

Brian

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Remarkable how much louder the PCM stereo track is compared to a 2-ch downmix of the Dolby Digital track (for those with only 2-channel rigs).

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
I extracted the ac3 and the PCM data to compare the two. There is about an 8-10 db difference between them. I've been listening to the ac3 stereo downmix, it sounds much better to me.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

I don't understand. You have 'only' a two channel stereo set up--no surrounds? And you're finding it sounds better to listen to the 5.1 Dolby track downmixed to those two channels (and with the volume cranked to compensate for the lower level) than to listen to the native two channel PCM? Despite the fact that the downmix discards the LFE?

If you've only got a two channel rig, then I don't understand how you've heard the 5.1 track so as to be able to compare the two. If you do have a surround system, then I don't understand how you've heard the downmix of the 5.1 track--it's my understanding that downmix is only passed to the analog 2-ch, L and R outputs on the back of the DVD player (as opposed to the main L and R of the 5.1 analog out cluster).

Just wanna make sure I understand what you're saying.

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
I listen on my computer at work. I use a free software player called foobar2000. It can downmix the 5.1 to stereo on the fly as it's playing. I can also convert the 5.1 to a stereo wav file using other software.

It sounds better because it isn't as compressed. It has some dynamics. Yes, it's lossy, but to me it sounds much better. I hear distortion from the regular PCM track when I listen at work. Maybe it's a limitation of my computer setup. At home, the pcm track sounds ok, I just can't turn it up very loud at all. It's all subjective, but I have compared the PCM wav file versus the ac3 5.1 converted to a stereo wav file. There's a big difference.

I don't listen to the ac3 file cranked, my levels stay the same as they do for most of my cds. When I listen to the cd of the R30 concert, I have to lower my levels in half of what I normally listen at.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Just watch Kiss: Symphony, and you will never complain about the quick-cut editing in another concert disc again!

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thx for clarification/more info, Kyle.

Spun it for first time recently. The crowd is less bat sh*t and the p.q. is better than Rio.

And wow I dig that perf of "Red Barchetta."

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thought there coulda been a LOT more to the fan interview Easter egg.

It would appear that next Tuesday is not the release date for ESL, GUP or ASOH either.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
OK..here's one for you die hard Rush fans.

What's the deal with Jerry Stiller (it is Jerry, right?)? The opening concert video is a hoot, and seeing Jerry doing a Beavis and Butthead thing during Bangkok was pee yourself funny, but what is he relationship with the band such that they would use him in the pre-show video?

As much as I love the band, I am just not down with some of the minutia that the uber-fans are hip to.

Brian

PS: As a Rush aside, I was spinning Ged's "My Favorite Headache" at lunch. Haven't played it for years, but man, its a good CD, and the SQ is not too bad either.

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
There is a show on VH1 classic called "Hangin' With" insert farvorite group here. Eddie Trunk hosts it. Alex and Ged were on it last fall and he asked about Jerry Stiller. They said "We asked him, and he said ok". I could be wrong, but I think he may be from Canada, so maybe that had something to do with it. They said there was no connection to him before, they didn't know him.

Brian, you're right, MFH is a good disc. Haven't listened to it in a while, I need to dig it out.

Spinning right now: GUP : Kid Gloves

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks