What's new

Rush R30 DVD details (1 Viewer)

Gwon Chang

Stunt Coordinator
Seen here. Copied here:

Oh my goodness. Look at DVD disc 2. Highlights mine. This is the love letter Rush fans have been waiting for! C'mon Nov 22!

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Looks like it also includes a song from the SARS benefit as well.

I guess that's the current name of Neil's drum solo?

Jason

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

I haven't looked up the translation, but I assume it is the same as Rush in Rio's O'Baterista which means "The Drummer".

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
A Google search of Trommler found this: http://www.muth.org/Robert/Trommler/
An X11/GTK based Linux drum machine?

Yeah, it sucks they cut out 8 tunes, but I'm not complaining. Let 'em release it again in HD-DVD in a few years with those songs added and I'll be the first in line once again. Now where's the Exit Stage Left and GUP DVD's?

mackie

Supporting Actor
I'll get it the day it comes out too. Man, that was a good concert. It's probably my favorite of the 3 or 4 I've seen.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
The eight songs that are missing are repeats from the Rush in Rio DVD. So, suffice to say, not a big loss, however, Rush in Rio was a mess from the 5.1 and non-anamorphic standpoint. However, I'll take the removal of those eight tracks for what we're getting with this set.

Now, as said above, where the heck are the Exit... Stage Left and Grace Under Pressure DVDs?

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thx for the Billboard link, Jason H. Looking forward to all four contemplated DVD releases.

"[O]ver the next couple of years"? "I'm not sure about that"? Am tired of comments like these from Ged wherein he sounds like he doesn't know what the frick is going on with his own band's releases by the label.

-p

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Often, band members don't know, because things are handled at the record label level.

Jason

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I'm well aware of that Jason. But with the level of clamor by fans there has been for years for these releases, for the number of times they've been rumored to be imminent in the past and for the amount of time a member of the band (Alex) apparently had to spend on their preparation, I'd prefer a bit more fan-sensitive certainty of information from Ged. There's long been a pattern of this on his part over the decades.

There's nothing stopping him--indeed, it's in the best interest of better unit sales for the label--from insisting upon regular updates on the releases' progress so he can relay word while doing press junkets and interviews. This is not a new, upstart band with no label status we're talkin 'bout here. And, per his own statements, it's not as though they are unaware of the titles' preparation for release.

I hate to say it (again), but there are other bands who have embraced the DVD era with greater alacrity and fan orientation (read: Metallica).

IMO it smacks of the same lameness that is the band's being aware of "The Camera Eye" topping fan wish lists of what they'd love to hear performed live . . . and their then not playing it. Or, the announced-then-canceled remaster of VT.

-p

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Rush - do not walk - to your local store this Tuesday to pick this up. It is *that* good.

As far as the complaint about missing songs...as it is, R30 on DVD is over 2 hours. Feels like a complete experience to me.

Yes, it's anamorphic.

The Dolby Digital 5.1 track (mixed by Alex Lifeson with Rich Chycki) is outstanding and immersive with occasional synth embellishments ("Roll The Bones" and all the video interludes) in the rears. The low end is healthy and under control. Lots of great sidewall imaging. Very wide soundstage.

Is the DVD perfect? No, but it's still incredibly satisfying. Black level is spot on, colors are bold and smoothly defined, there's absolutely no video noise in the darker areas, and resolution and shadow detail is startling. But...there are some mpeg-2 compression probs. Mosquito noise and even some macro blocking (mostly around Neil Peart's drum set) pop up from time to time when the lights oscillate intensely. I can't believe I'm saying this, but the uncompressed PCM stereo track is wasted bitrate IMHO - the 5.1 is so satisfying, I'm not going to hear the stereo mix again (other than on the CDs included in the set - in the car).

I would have also given the audio maybe 3-4db more dynamic range, but audio quality is otherwise excellent. IIRC, the layer break is smack in the middle of Alex Lifeson's solo in "Dreamline," which is unfortunate.

But it is hands down one of the most impressive concert DVDs I've ever had the pleasure of watching and listening. It captures the Rush show wonderfully - even the rear projection screens behind the band on stage are reproduced with remarkable clarity. I can't tell you what a great time I had with this set!

Disc two is heaven for a Rush fan. Lots of archival footage - interviews and performances during the past 30 years. Funny at times and incredibly informative.

What a treat!!

Oh, and Alex tells me the Exit, Grace, and Show discs are pretty much done and will come out hopefully around Feb (or Spring) next year. He did the 5.1 mixes earlier this year, and it's still undecided whether they will be released separately or in a set.

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
The review I saw last week said forget the 5.1 track and go straight to the stereo because it was amazing. Since I only have a stereo setup, it's a no brainer for me, but it's interesting how opinions are different.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez

If this is the review you're referring to...

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=59232

I respectfully disagree re: his comparison of the stereo vs. 5.1, in addition to his observation of "chroma noise and dot crawl" (which I didn't see) in the video. Still, that's a pretty comprehensive review and covers the release splendidly.

The stereo mix should be the choice for those with a stereo-only set-up. I would highly recommend the 5.1 mix for those with appropriate set-ups. That being said, in 5.1, I found the low end much better defined and instrument separation greatly improved over the stereo mix. But either way, I think old and new fans will be quite pleased.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Out of curiousity, what are the eight missing songs?

How does the mix sound re: band and crowd noise on both stereo and 5.1? I recall the debate on Rush in Rio about how the crowd drowned out the music while others said that was the true concert-going experience.

I am glad this release is anamorphic. With my progressive scan player and widescreen TV, anamorphic discs look so much better than a letterboxed disc zoomed in, like Rush in Rio was.
-

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

I am reading that the crowd noise is real subdued, especially after watching the Rio show. Every review that I am reading is stating to go with the PCM track for the best overall sound.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Wow. It's everything Rio should've been visually and sonically (that was a great performance, though) and wasn't. This is a pretty good do-over.

I A/B'd the Stereo and 5.1 tracks and the dude from DVD Times is smoking crack. The Dolby track annhilates the PCM in every way.

My system doesn't suck:

Polk LSi 25's, C, Fx, EAD Powermaster 1000, Integra DTC-9.4, SVS 20-39 PC+, Denon 2900, Tosh 65H80

This is the DVD we've been waiting for, Rush fans. 5.1 in your HT, buy the Deluxe edition for the CD's to play in your car. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks