What's new

running cable in ceiling (1 Viewer)

Alan Hall

Auditioning
One more for the day...

Does anyone have a diagram or "how to" on running cable through the ceiling? I have a finished walk-up attic with a small access panel on the right wall. I am going to install in-ceiling speakers for the surrounds but I'm not exactly sure how to run the cable to the desired locations. Tons of insulation between the rafters and ceiling. HELP!?

Thanks again!

Alan

JoshGivens

Stunt Coordinator
Are you going to be running the wire where you have access from the attic? Meaning, if you move some insulation, you can see the back of the sheetrock, or are the locations under a floor?

Alan Hall

Auditioning
My runs will be from the access wall side of the room where the component rack will be. From there, I will be running cable to the ceiling mounted projector and the 4 surround in-ceiling speakers. 2 in the rear and 2 on the sides. If I squeeze into the access panel, I can see the top of the ceiling and the joists that are running parallel from the access wall. I assume I will first cut the holes in the ceiling but I am unclear as to how I am going to pull the cable through.

Thanks again!

Alan

Alan Hall

Auditioning
The distance to the left side from the access point is 15ft.
and from the rafters to the ceiling is 2ft.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Tie a weight onto a string. Tie the other end of the string to the wire. Cut your holes for the speakers and toss the weighted string to the vicinity of the hole. Reach up through the hole and grab the string. Pull the string (and wire) to the hole.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Jeff’s idea will work in many situations. If for some reason you can’t get a good vantage point for throwing a weighted string that far, there are other tricks.

For one, you could pick up some thin rods of aluminum stock – say 3/16” or so – at the local hardware store. You should be able to find them in lengths of around 5-6’. Get as many as you need to span the distance.

The idea is to make a long rod that you can push across the rafters from the access point to the holes in the ceiling (yes they should be cut first). The speaker wire or a pull string will be taped to the end of it, and you can reach up into the hole and cut it free from the rod and pull in the length you need.

To make your long rod, simply strap the smaller sections together with some substantial tape, like duct tape. If for some reason your quarters are too tight to maneuver a rod that long, you can begin by pushing the first rod through as far as it will go, then tape on the second rod, push it through and tape on the next, etc.

If your pole is crossing the tops of rafters running perpendicular, it should be pretty easy to pull this off. If you’re running parallel between a pair of rafters, that will be easy too, unless there are some obstructions.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks