What's new

Running an optical cable across the room (1 Viewer)

JonathanL

Grip
I would like to hook up my computer via optical out to my HT Receiver. My HT Receiver is about 20 ft from my computer. Is it possible to run an optical cable across the room? If not, how else can I hook it up.

Thanks, Jonathan.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
You should be able to do this, however:

I wouldn't recommend running the cable in a way that it can be walked on (as in, not under the carpet.) Run around the room, or through the ceiling, or something like that.

The only catch is, I don't remember how long Toslink is good for... I've seen 15meter cables, though...

Leo Kerr

JonathanL

Grip
I'm planning to run it around the perimeter of the room so that it's out of the way. I'm going to have to do some measuring to figure out how many feet of cable I need.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Would that require the cable to bend at 90 degree angles in certain places?

JonathanL

Grip
Hopefully I'll be able to set it up so that the cable isn't excessively bnet in any one spot, because I know optical cable is sensitive to that.

-Jonathan

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I know toslink is good for very long distances, but plastic conductor optical cables do have their limits. You may have to go w/ a glass conductor cable which could become somewhat pricey.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks