Running an optical cable across the room

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by JonathanL, Sep 5, 2004.

1. JonathanL

JonathanL Extra

I would like to hook up my computer via optical out to my HT Receiver. My HT Receiver is about 20 ft from my computer. Is it possible to run an optical cable across the room? If not, how else can I hook it up.

Thanks, Jonathan.

2. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

You should be able to do this, however:

I wouldn't recommend running the cable in a way that it can be walked on (as in, not under the carpet.) Run around the room, or through the ceiling, or something like that.

The only catch is, I don't remember how long Toslink is good for... I've seen 15meter cables, though...

Leo Kerr

3. JonathanL

JonathanL Extra

I'm planning to run it around the perimeter of the room so that it's out of the way. I'm going to have to do some measuring to figure out how many feet of cable I need.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Would that require the cable to bend at 90 degree angles in certain places?

5. JonathanL

JonathanL Extra

Hopefully I'll be able to set it up so that the cable isn't excessively bnet in any one spot, because I know optical cable is sensitive to that.

-Jonathan

6. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I know toslink is good for very long distances, but plastic conductor optical cables do have their limits. You may have to go w/ a glass conductor cable which could become somewhat pricey.