What's new

Runco DTV-5800 based on what TV? (1 Viewer)

Paul McAdams

Auditioning
Hello --

Wondering if anyone out there can help... I have a Runco DTV-5800 and a new Radio Shack Kameleon remote. The remote has many pre-programmed code sets in it including about 5 or so for Runco televisions but unfortunately, none seem to work with my TV. I have managed to get all my other gear programmed in, so the remote works. Do any of the calibrators (or anyone else) know what TV the Runco is based on? I seem to remember that it was a mod of a Hitachi or maybe a Toshiba. I thought I might the code for the original TV and see if that works. Any thoughts on whether the modifications to make the TV a Runco would change the remote control codes (especially the basics like on/off.)

Thanks.

Paul McAdams

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi Paul

Im not totally versed on the Runco line but am taking the certification class with them next month. Im pretty sure it is a Toshiba clone. Give it a try.

regards

Gregg

Treg

Auditioning
I have this TV and cannot seem to find the point of blooming no matter the contrast setting. Is there an alternative way to set the initial contrast correctly other than the Pluge, Needle Pulse, or Hi-Lo pattern so I can begin a calibration?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

You need a light meter and you are shooting for 15 to 20 ft-l of light based on a 100% white window box.

The test discs tell you where "not to set" contrast ... not where to set it.

Regards

Rik P

Stunt Coordinator
The Radio Shack Kameleon remote is a learning remote, as long as you have the orignal Runco remote you can just point the remote at the Kameleon and store the codes to the TV button.
I have this remote and set it up to work with my Panny L300 PJ.

Rick

Treg

Auditioning
OK, so I use the pluge pattern to set brightness, then I put up the 100ire window and set contrast to measure 15-20 ft-l in the center, then I enter the service menu and set .313/.329 for 10ire and again for 100ire. After exiting the service menu, set the brightness/contrast/color/tint using pluge/100ire window/smpte color bars and my display should be both calibrated for very close to d65 and as bright as it should be?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks