What's new

RPTV decor solution for me, finally! (1 Viewer)

Steve_D

Second Unit
After searching online and at what must have been at least 20 B&M furniture stores with no exageration, I finally found what for me was a good way to have the RPTV in my living room without having the RPTV totally dominate the decor, nor having to use an entire wall unit.

http://www.ethanallen.com/jsp/univer...=4&subSelect=1

At $1700 its very reasonable, imho.

Add 2 matching wood plant stands/telephone tables on the sides (modified with speaker spikes on the legs:) ) with very decor-friendly speakers on top and I'm hoping I can actually pull off a decent looking HT/2 channel system with very little sonic compromise on a non-custom budget!

David Preston

Supporting Actor
I just bought a new entertainment center a couple months back. At first I was trying to decide between a rack or a full entertainment center. I finally went with the ET center. I don't regret it. I don't have enough equipment to fill it up but it sure looks good to me. It hide wires really good. It hides the TV well until you turn it on then the TV stands out a little. Hopefully I will have pics soon. That looks like a nice piece of furniture. Post pics when done.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
With a full size wall unit, where did you put your main l/r speakers?
From the picture it looks like it's designed to hold them in the cabinet, which is less than ideal. If you do plan on placing them there make sure you stuff the surrounding cavity with acoustic insulation. Ideally those speakers should be out in front with nothing in between.

I was fortunate with my RPTV - when I built my current house I had a custom wall unit done to spec (physically part of the house). The TV slides in nice and neat with the equipment on the side. No wires to be seen anywhere. The speakers are out and on the floor (by design).

sean_pecor

Stunt Coordinator
Jay, I agree that speakers on shelves aren't ideal. So to address this in my own wall unit design, each side cabinet section is tapered from 26" next to the center section, down to 12" on the outside edges. The taper creates room for both left/right speaker stands. Also, with this design the center channel (above the TV in the center section) is the same distance from the listener.

I REALLY wanted to find a pre-built wall unit I liked. Ultimately I had to design one myself.

Sean.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
It is on a wall that has no windows or doors so it appears big. My room is not huge but I say the wall is big so I put them right beside the ET center. Now that I got new speakers it matches perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks