What's new

RP91 Shimmer on Splash screen? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
I hooked up some new component cables to my TV (Tau 32" 1080i capable) and hit the porgressive button only to see a shimmering screen. I tried rechecking all the connections to make sure they were secure but the shimmer was still there.
I noticed that the shimmer is not only just visable on the component cable but it is affected by the progressive button. With progressive off I see a flicke/shimmer from top to bottom almost like scan lines. With progressive on the shimmer has a left to right jagged edge effect.
Has anyone seen this before? I quickly threw in VE and the montage of images looked ok. The shimmer isn't there with S-Video so I'm still using that for viewing at the moment.
Thought's anyone?

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
The most likely cause is a flakey component video cable. Fortunately that's also the easiest to eliminate.
------------------
The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has passed.

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
I was thinking it was more likely to be the TV or the player. Since this is the first time I have used the component out/in's on either.
The cable came from Kustom Kables and I have 2 digital audio cable that have no problems.
I guess I can try hooking 1 of the RGB parts of the cable to the composite jacks and see if the problem still persists. I used the composite jacks before I switched to S-video and I know the problem doesn't exist there.

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
You would be better to try using the composite cable to replace, one at a time, the component cables and see if the symtom changes or goes away.
------------------
The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has passed.

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
I take it you mean to connect the component cable, disconnect the red on both ends, plug in the composite on both ends and see if the picture is affected. Then repeat for green and then blue.
If there is a change one of the component cables has a problem, if not the problem lies with either the TV or DVD player.
Right?

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
Right.
BTW, component video is not the same as RGB. What kind of cables are you using?
------------------

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
I did some experimenting last night that rules out the cable IMO.
I tried all 3 parts of the component cable in the composite slots with no problems. Then I took my 75 ohm digital coax and swapped it in for each part of the component cable one at a time. No affect.
Progressive gives a top to bottom wave like shimmer and non-progressive gives a bottom right to top left wave like shimmer.
So I'm down to either the TV or the RP91. I have a new TV coming on Tuesday so that should point the finger in one direction or the other. I'm laying odd's on the RP91 because the picture from the component cable didn't come on automatically all the time. Some times I had to touch the cables at the RP91 end and the picture would flicker on.
If I get a chance I'll have to try taking the RP91 + cable into a store to check a different TV.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Some times I had to touch the cables at the RP91 end and the picture would flicker on.
It sounds like there may be a loose connection between the component jacks and the circuit board on the player. If that's the case, you should hopefully get a new player under warranty.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
Scott,
>>It sounds like there may be a loose connection between the component jacks and the circuit board on the player.

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
Just thought I'd tie this loose end up. I now have a Toshiba 50H81 connected to my Kustom Kables component cable connected to the RP91. I no longer have the shimmer problem at all. The picture flicking on/off doesn't happen now either that the RP91 and my large component cable are settled.
Conclusion: The Panny Tau must have had some problem with both it's component inputs. Or it was an incompatability problem between the 3 which I doubt.
Moral: Always check each item in the loop one by one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks