What's new

Rowing Machine Advice Please (1 Viewer)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I really need to start getting some regular cardio exercise. The only way I think I'll stick with it is if I can do it while watching TV. I also don't have a lot of space and want to keep it low impact. I like swimming, but it's such a pain to get to the pool, swim, get home, etc. Especially with our winters and the whole chlorine thing.
So I think a rowing machine would make a great option. Small, low impact, full body. I've been trying to do some internet searching but haven't been getting too far. Keep ending up at Concept2 stuff. Or the Rowing Machine Direct/Superstore website.
The Concept2 would be great, but it's a little on the pricey side. The superstore website also lists this one:
http://www.rowingmachinedirect.com/r...Rowing_Machine
Looks good except there is no variable resistance I'm aware of and I'm a little concerned about the durability of the mechanism that retracts the cable.
Anybody own this rower? Thoughts?
Any online resources someone has found on rowing machines? Other rowers I should consider? Or should I just suck it up and get a Concept2?

Matt_R

Stunt Coordinator
My sister and I purchased a Concept2 for my father about 3-4 years ago. It's a very high quality machine... however, as you said, very expensive. I remember looking around at te different rowers, and the Concept2 just seemed more solid, fluid and comfortable than the others.

Stevie O

Agent
I "manage" the fitness center where I work and we have used a Concept 2 rower for 8 years with no major problems in daily use

(we have just replaced the seat rollers this year)

Regards

Steve

Jason Ly

Agent
Funny,

My wife and I are looking for a rowing machine right now to. We are looking at a magnetic resistance unit(Tunturi r610) and their air resistance model as well. I was hoping one or two of the good folks here might have an opinion on how good magnetic units are as compared to the air resistance ones?

Jason

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I guess I really should be considering the R610. The superstore site says it ships from Canada which would be a plus (shippings a little pricey though at $99USD for 4-6day ground delivery). And I just noticed the superstore doesn't ship the Concept2 outside the US.

Where are you looking at getting the R610 Jason?

Jason Ly

Agent
DUSTIN,

We ended up getting the tunturi r710. The 610 is quiet but the motion of rowing is not as smooth as with the air resistance model. Also the 710 has a nylon coated wire, so it isn't any more noisy than a room fan. We ended up going to a local dealer here near Boston who had models to try out, I suggest you do the same if you can find any stores in your area. One plus in your favor is that the North American distributer of Tunturi equipment is based out of Canada

Jason

XBOX Live- Omegajayy

P.S. the computer module on the Tunturi leaves a little to be desired.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well, guess I'll dredge this thread back up. Managed to pick up a floor model Kettler Coach for $950CDN. I've only used it twice, but so far so good. If anyone cares, ask me in a month what I think about it and I'll tell ya ;)
How you liking the Tunturi Jason?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks