What's new

Router question (pc to XBox) (1 Viewer)

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
I just bought a Linksys cable router to bring my XBox online via my PC cable modem. My question is, what else do I need? Do I need any adapter cards? Can I just buy 50ft of CAT5 cable to run between the router and my XBox? Thanks!

Andre F

Screenwriter
Hook up your Cable Modem to the PC and make sure you get a connection (to the internet). Then simply run the Cat5 to the Xbox and plug it in. Should work just fine.

WillY

Stunt Coordinator
I just hooked up my xbox to a LAN I set up with my neighbor, and it has been great sniping people in Halo without them seeing it coming. Also, I've had better luck playing online with XBConnect, as opposed to GameSpy, but who knows if it's actually better.

Can't wait for XBox live. Why can't I be a beta tester, darn it...

Tommy_Y

Grip
I've got my PC and PS2 both hooked up to a Linksys 4 port cable router and have no problems. For the PS2 I needed a USB network adapter but the XBOX has an ethernet connection built-in so you won't need that.

Cable for wall goes into the cable modem, cat5 from cable modem goes to router, and from there cat5 to the PC and another cat5 to the XBOX (PS2)...should work like a charm.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Thanks Tommy, that helps a ton. I wasn't sure how the whole thing went together.

Guess I gotta get a couple of CAT5 cables next.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks