What's new

Rouge Squadron III-Rebel Strike (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
All that stuff....how many discs is it? Can they fit that on a GameCube disc?

This year is going to rock.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Marge's mother: "Pinch your cheeks and try to break some capillaries"
Marge:"Can't I just use rouge?"
Marge's Mother: "Ladies pinch, whores use rouge"
;)

DavidBelis

Agent

Don't worry. The people at Factor 5 are absolute masters at compression. They even helped develop the console itself a few years ago. MusyX, for instance, is the creator of GCN's sound card, and I believe that Factor 5 is their parent company. Also, I heard a few months ago that Factor 5 was working on a new type of compression on Gamecube (similar to DivX for PC), that will allow the GCN disc to hold very large dvd-quality FMVs in games that previously, no one thought could ever fit on the 1.5 gig discs.

In other words, Factor 5 knows the Gamecube's hardware and its capabilities like the back of their hand.

Believe it or not, as beautiful as Rogue Leader on Gamecube was, the ENTIRE game took them just over 8 months to create, and the entire game took up little more than 200 megs of space.

Factor 5 has had A LOT more time to work on the game's sequel, Rebel Strike (a couple years, as opposed to 8 months), plus, they've probably learned even more about Gamecube's capabilities, and are able to really push it to the limit.

So rest assured, Rebel Strike will look even more amazing than Rogue Leader, and will git completely on 1 disc.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Believe it or not, as beautiful as Rogue Leader on Gamecube was, the ENTIRE game took them just over 8 months to create, and the entire game took up little more than 200 megs of space
I'm not sure if that's a compliment to the guys at Factor 5 or the ease of use and power of the GameCube. Then again, it's kind of both, since they knew what they were getting into...

Nonetheless, Rebel Strike is looking good. Even if the multi-genre thing doesn't work out, it still sounds good.

Keeping in mind some of the extras in Rogue Leader, I wonder if they will have secret missions where you play as Vader...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ack, I still haven't finished Rogue Leader.

However, I will reluctantly admit that I found RL a bit of a let down compared to the original N64 Rogue Squadron. RS had more open levels allowing a greater sense of freedom. RL tends to give me just enough time to complete a section and then tosses me into a new section. I also thought RS had better flow from mission to mission. I didn't pay much attention to the story, but RS felt more coherent in how it took me through the different missions.

And, finally, RL is really hard!

I hope that the next Rogue Leader game re-captures some of the lost Rogue Squadron qualities. And maybe not quite so terribly difficult. :)

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Okay, now that I've run out of drool, I think I can actually make a coherent comment on this game.

The screenshots of this game look amazing. Considering that Factor 5 made Rogue Leader in only 8 months and has had a lot of time to work with this title, I expect its graphics to blow us away in every regard.

However, I do worry about the addition of commando levels ala Shadows of the Empire. If I remember correctly, the original selling point of the first Rogue Squadron game was, "The Battle of Hoth was the best level in Shadows of the Empire. Why not just make an entire game like that?" To which, there was great rejoicing. Now, it sounds like they are trying to make a game exactly like the one from which they wanted to distinguish themselves. I'm not saying that it can't be done. I have just never played a multi-genre game that did both parts equally well. I fear that I will play through the commando missions for no other reason than to get to the "good" missions in vehicles.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I hope the ground 3rd person levels are really 3rd person and not the move forward on rails...kill a bunch, move forward kill a bunch. I hope they give you the freedom to run around like real 1st and 3rd person games do.

Tons of bonus missions that are easier to unlock
My favorite words...easier to unlock :)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
DaveF:

I agree totally with your feelings on Rogue Leader. While so much about the game was/is impressive, the difficulty level just made me lose interest after a while... which is somewhat rare for me.

~j

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I agree about the difficulty. I purchased the game last May along with my cube and only in late March did I complete the final mission(the ROJ deathstar tunnel). Great game but a selectable difficulty would be nice in RS 3.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm with you guys, too. I bought a Cube for RL, and ended up not liking the game that much. Maybe it was the fact I played RS on a PC with a flightstick and couldn't adjust, maybe it was the missions. I don't know, but I ended up quitting at that level in the asteroid field. I just realized I wasn't having any fun. Still, I'm looking forward to Rebel Strike. I'll give RL another go and hopefully I'll like it better this time.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I thought RL was tougher than most games, but not insanely difficult. I didn't get all the secrets, didn't care that much to.

But RS looks nice.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I never finished the ROJ Deathstar part. I just got too frustrated with it after my 20th or 30th try.

Glen

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I got tired of it and just used cheat codes so I could see all the missions, weapon upgrades and hidden stuff.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Aww, come on guys. That's part of the FUN of these games, especially if you want it to look just like the movies. If your blazing at lightspeed in a starfighter, it's not SUPPOSED to be easy to manuver around :). ESPECIALLY in the ROTJ DeathStar.

Plus, it's also extremly rewarding when you FINALLY get that damned elusive Gold Medal, it feels like a Sugar Rush or something...hehehe.

I managed to beat the game, and get all the gold medals, in a little under a month. I guess I'm one of the few that hopes they don't change the difficulty that much :).

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Plus, it's also extremly rewarding when you FINALLY get that damned elusive Gold Medal
Only when the reward is worth something besides a pixel circle of gold color on the screen or unlocking some worthless ship that wouldn't be used to play the game with normally because its either slow, weak, or too hard to fly.

There is a difference between being difficult but fun and being difficult and down right frustrating.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
There should be selectable difficulty levels. Otherwise those of us who were very frustrated by the first game (I'm not a bad gamer overall, but even some of early missions had me really stuck) won't be locked out of the bonuses, not to mention the game itself. I'm glad there's a portion of people who can play at this level, and I wouldn't want the game to be without it, but in the first game I felt sort of cheated into having to cheat.

There are other games that I've taken over a year to win/unlock (playing on and off) - really challenging games. But per Michael's distinction there's a fine line between challenging and frustrating! I just wanted to stop playing the damn thing after a while. Factor 5 needs to toe that line a little better.

errr... uh, yeah. :)

s

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Heh, too True. But I must be one of those video game freaks who likes to try and beat the Hard Levels of a Star Wars game just to see if I can do it.

Besides, playing video games most of the day keeps me from eating, so it's a good way to loose weight. The more difficult the better I say ;)..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks