What's new

Rouge Squadron III-Rebel Strike (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think that the game should be accessible enough so everyone can finish the levels, but not so easy that everyone can get the bonuses. You EARN the bonuses by being good. The getaround for that is to use the cheat codes (which I think are a good idea for this game).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
For the casual gamer, who plays maybe an hour a week, Rogue Leader is overly difficult. For the hardcore, perhaps it's about right.

Targeting varying audiences: One of the many challenges, I'm sure, to designing a game. :)

I certainly hope the next game isn't harder!

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I really think the way they should do unlocking in games is the way they do it now where beating certain things or getting items or whatever, but there should also be a clock. If you have been playing for a certain amount of total time or have tried a certain level a certain number of times it should unlock certain things just because you've been at it for so long. Yeah I know people will just leave the game on for days and days straight until the limit is hit, but most people will just keep trying and eventually it should just unlock for the hell of it.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I bought Rogue Leader and Gamecube last May, and the difficulty of that game, specifically the level after Hoth, made me lose interest quickly.

~T

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think the main problem with RL was not it's difficulty, but that it never let up, the levels were too long, and you didn't get enough lives for some of them. If you got 5 lives and some levels (like the one where you have to bomb the factories or whatever after destroying the giant thing in space) were cut into multiple pieces, then it would have been easier.

I think TimeSplitters 2 has the whole unlockable secrets thing done perfectly. Rather than have to complete specific goals within a time limit, you just have to beat all 3 difficulties for a level. In TS2, beating anything (a level, an Arena challenge, etc.) gives you an unlockable (though usually in the form of extra characters).

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
All right, I'm going to say this, and many of you will strongly disagree with me on this.

Rogue Leader was not as difficult as everyone makes it out to be. Yes, it was indeed challenging to get past some of the levels towards the end, but that's to be expected from any game, right? I swear, some people just expected eye candy from this game and were disappointed when they realized that they actually had to work to get to the next level.

The thing is, once I figured out how to beat a level, I had no problem repeating the feat every time I played it. To be honest, I now find it to be remarkly easy to play through, especially if you had all of the power-ups for your ship.

I will, however, admit that earning the gold medals was very difficult. I have yet to accomplish this task myself. Hmm... maybe I can get around to this, seeing as there's a bit of a lull in game releases right now. :)

Neil M

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

I agree with you 100%. This game is not difficult. It may be challenging to some but it's not difficult by any means. Learning how to use your ship is half the battle. The other half is knowing what you are supposed to do and memorizing the levels. To get the golds, I would first play the level and explore every possible thing I could do. The only two real obstacles for the gold were time and enemies. I would count how many enemies there were and then figured out how many I would have to kill in each area to be safe. And you have to be fast. If I could kill more enemies in an area, I would have a cushion but I would never spend too much time just to get more enemies when I knew I had enough. I think the difficulty level was fair but I would certainly welcome a difficulty option for those who need it. I'll probably be the only one to say this, but I hope this game is even more difficult than the last one.

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I didn't find beating the levels to be too hard, but getting the golds is way to hard. I'm not really a hard core gamer (I played Mario Sunshine for the first time this year and got my 33rd Shine) but I do like to unlock all the extra levels if possible. I'm missing the golds on the first Death Star attack and the Death Star Escape. Getting silver was hard enough.

I look forward to the multiple game styles in the upcoming game. I've always wanted a game where you can play the entire movie regardless of the style. The first level can be a first person shooter where you storm the Princess' ship, a third person stealth level for Obi Wan shutting down the tractor beam as well as the space shooters.

jeremy

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The first level can be a first person shooter where you storm the Princess' ship, a third person stealth level for Obi Wan shutting down the tractor beam as well as the space shooters
I think the game is sticking to just third person ground missions and the aerial/space missions (which are 3rd or 1st person).

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Damn! I've been trying to hold off on buying a GC, even though it has tons of cool games. I mean, I already had a PS2, then I went ahead and got a DC for cheap stuff, then I gave in and got an XBox. Crap. Thanks, Factor 5, my wallet officially gives up.

When will they realize we have an addiction and stop producing these digital drugs?!

Brice

Stunt Coordinator
What i found interesting in that article was that they said that they want to do an online game... i personally think that would be awesome... i think it'd be certainly better than the addon that they'll make for Galaxies... man, I may just base my next system purchase on the system that'll get that game... (hehe)... did anyone say anything about a release date? in the article they talked about christmas... is it coming out then, i'm drooling... yum!
Brice

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Oh, wow. A Wedge level set on Geonosis! Really awesome that the game branches so dramatically. Can't wait for this one.

Han on Hoth. They've really thought of everything! I wonder if you can blast Mynocks off the Falcon in the space slug. . . .

Barry Woodward

Second Unit
I've heard two really cool rumors about this game: 1) The Rogue Squadron II multiplayer levels can be unlocked for a single player. 2) Graphically souped-up versions of the original Rogue Squadron and Battle For Naboo will be included on a pre-order bonus disk along with several demos.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If they made the next Rogue Squadron game online so that you could play levels with 8 or so buddies as the Rebels in dogfights from the game, that would be SWEET!

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Barry,
I was dreaming of getting the earlier RS and BfN...a bonus disc would be extremely sweet. I actually have the games, but I hate dragging the 64 out to play them. Make it easy!

Take care,
Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks