What's new

Rotel 1065 vs. B&K AVR307 vs Pioneer 49TX opinions? (1 Viewer)

JeffHayes

Stunt Coordinator
Ok kids...

I need some help since my one and only local Paradigm Reference dealer carries NONE of those brands. I am looking to add one of these (or perhaps some other as yet undiscovered receiver) to my dedicated theater/listening room. It will be used for 50/50 music and movies.

With the obvious exception of the AVR307 which is not yet updated with the latest greatest decoders, how do all of these units compare from a quality of components, to audio quality, to overall feel i.e. "warm", "bright", etc...?

I know about the MCACC on the Pioneer, so we can probably skip the particulars on that... although that is a real nice feature and weighs nicely in the Pioneer's favor. I have no experience with Rotel gear per se... how does it compare to the alleged quality of components and amps used within the B&K stuff. I've read lots on the Pioneer unit having issues driving some speakers to "reference levels". I don't usually blow out the walls watching movies... but it would be nice to know that if I had it up at -10dB or something and the "Pod Race" was on that I wouldn't have my receiver shutdown.

FWIW, I will be running 5.1 at first with Paradigm Reference Studio 40, Studio CC and Studio ADP on the sides. I may add Studio 100 fronts and move the 40s to the back at a later date... or may just stick with 40s for the front AND the back.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Jeff in Houston

PS - Thanks to those who responded in my other thread about Paradigms.

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I would go with the Rotel only because of their backgroud with good amps. The 1065 puts out more watts than it is rated to, I don't have the link, but it was in one of the Sound And vision things. If you want pure sound, go with Rotel, the Pioneer will definitely have more frills. At this price though, what about a pre/pro and amp? Rotel 1066 paired to a 1075 will kill those reeivers as far as pure sound. But if you want a high roller receiver, the rotel or Pioneer, not the B&K, way to old, you'll want to upgrade again.

Chip E

Screenwriter
I was very hapy with the sound and power of the B&K 307 for almost a year.. having said that, i traded it in for a Denon 5803 for all the latest processing features. It sounds great and has powerful amps in it's own right. Just another consideration for you. :)

JeffHayes

Stunt Coordinator
Kyle_Y:
I guess once you start talking separates it gets to be more of a financial thing. Honestly I don't know what the 1065 receiver is going for street price. Is the 1066 pre and the 1075 combo somewhere in the same neighborhood price-wise?
So is Rotel's reputation for amps better than B&K's?
Chip E:
I've actually HEARD the 307, but not through Paradigms... they were played through Vandersteens. I realy liked the flexibility that the presets gave you in terms of programability and customization.
As for Denon... I am hard-core NOT a fan of their stuff. I've listened to just about everything they have put out, barring the 5803 and it just comes off as totally processed and unnatural to me. For lack of a better word, to my ears it lacks "depth". Not a slag on you as this topic is HIGHLY subjective... one man's treasure is another man's trash. Thanks for the info.
Any idea when the heck the silver units will be available for the power amps and stuff from Rotel? Anyone seen pics if the 1065 has the cool blue LEDs that the 1066 silver unit does?
Thanks,
Jeff in Houston

Aslam Imran

Second Unit
For me just based on pure sound the B&K would be the top choice. Rotel would be my next one followed by a Denon and then Elite. But thats just me.

Duke

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 307 plus the Paragigm 100's, cc, 20 (side) ADP(rear) and a M&K (sub). I run the 100's as large, the rest small c/o @ 65 to the sub. The 307 has plenty of power. The best amps of any of the Receivers IMHO. The 307 doesn't have the latters and greatest, but it does have what you need DD/DTS with THX & EX processing for any format. It will have DPL II soon. The rest of the DTS modes are really not needed yet, too little software. The 307 is very flexible and easy to use. As for sound it matches up very well to a set of seperates. Too many thing go into sound quality,sources & room. I am very happy with the 307. I use to have a Meridian 568 pre/pro with sunfire amps driving the Paradigm's, had to sell. I listen to many receivers and play with there interfaces. The B&K was for me. Go and listen and also play with the features. Good luck.

Chip E

Screenwriter
" one man's treasure is another man's trash. Thanks for the info. "
Oh, that hurt...
;)
Lol, just kidd'n... enjoy whatever you decide on. BTW, the Rotel combo would be something i'd consider as well if i didn't go with the 5803. I love the way the preamp looks and from what i understand, it sounds really good. I run PSB Stratus Silveri 's , C6i , Image 10S surround's & an SVS 20-39PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks