What's new

ROSEANNE reboot — what are your thoughts? (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Completely childish, I know, but I no longer watch Gibson's movies. Certain things a celebrity does completely destroy their past work.

It should be noted that apparently Gibson has worked hard to atone for his past mistakes. He's also been candid about his struggles with alcoholism. I see him more as a flawed person than a bad person as opposed to say, Cosby who as it turns out has been a scumbag for decades.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
They should get on it a do a Rawhide revival while Clint Eastwood is still alive.

DaveHof3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Next year, it will be 30 years since "Chicken Soup," a popular and high-rated sitcom, was pulled from the air by ABC because of inflammatory statements made by its stand-up comic star, Jackie Mason.

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Talk about doing a complete 180 degrees. ABC execs have come out saying that are are very worried that "The Connors" are going to crash and burn in the ratings without its fired star in the show. These execs are simply fearful the the ratings will tank for the new show considering the outpouring of support that fans have for Roseanne. While neither the source who released this information nor the executives were named, they may have cause to worry since the firing was labeled by the executives as a knee-jerk reaction of her termination from the show and that she should have simply been suspended for a period of time.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6261259/ABC-fears-Conners-flop-without-Roseanne-Barr.html

Deadline even reviewed the new show, that airs tonight, and they wrote a mild review of the new sitcom, which it details more of what's wrong with the show, even without Roseanne Barr. They talked about how devoid the new show is without the craziness and that the one-liners from Lecy Goranson that you can see coming before they land.

https://deadline.com/2018/10/the-co...gilbert-racist-tweets-scandal-abc-1202481367/

Be interesting to watch the pilot to see what the deal is with the new show as I'm willing to give anything a chance.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Talk about doing a complete 180 degrees. ABC execs have come out saying that are are very worried that "The Connors" are going to crash and burn in the ratings without its fired star in the show.

That's not a 180 flip because it's not the same executives. Channing Dungey is the one who made the ultimate call to cancel the show and she has always maintained her stance that it was the right thing to do. If other executives under her are nervous, that's their stance.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I can't imagine the show's ratings not tanking. I'm glad the cast and crew were employed again and I wish ABC, etc. the best of luck but it seems hard to believe that the audience is going to stick around for the long term for "Roseanne Without Roseanne".

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
It wasn't a bad episode but it wasn't great either. It just brought back painful memories I have of my mother's recent passing away. Most of the episode was rather dull but it Sara Gilbert who kind of stepped up. But, I didn't find any of the jokes particularly funny. I might tune in to a few more episodes but this one was just too depressing.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Such an odd experience to see these characters mourning the character as dead, and really the object of attention just got fired, but the actor family have to put it all out there to act like she's dead (Gilbert and Metcalf pull it off nicely). It must be even weirder for Roseanne to tune in see her own wake put on by former coworkers.

Curiosity satisfied, moving on from this (but it's not personal; just don't do sitcoms anymore).

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I watched and it was odd seeing the abrupt transformation take place after just a few short months.

The episode was ok but I fear these folks by themselves aren't interesting or funny enough to pull of a long term stellar show like we once knew.

Even though his character was meant to be having a rough time, it just felt as is John Goodman himself was just not into the whole thing. He just looked worn out and was doing it mainly for the younger actors and crew.

I'll try another couple of episodes to see if they can find their new groove.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I thought it was every bit as good as last year's season. Though I've always been a fan of "Roseanne" without particularly liking Roseanne. So I'm fine with '"Roseanne" without Roseanne'. I thought it was story wise very organic the way they killed her off as they actually set up her addiction last season before she got herself fired. My wife and I will happily continue watching for however long it lasts.

Reactions: PMF

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
The thing is, the studio isn't going to see anywhere near the numbers they saw with the Roseanne reboot. Looks like the premiere did 7.7. Roseanne reboot premiere did 18.0 during its initial few episodes then starting dropping down to around 10.5. The Connors are down to 7.7, but expect those numbers to be adjusted down for the second episode, probably around 5-6.

Dropping Roseanne Barr has had a negative effect on the ratings.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not sure where your numbers are from, or what "7.7" means? Is that supposed to be some demographic rating, or the overall audience number?

These are the numbers being reported by TV By the Numbers, which are not bad at all:

upload_2018-10-17_13-25-9.png

https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tv-ratings-tuesday-oct-16-2018/

"The Connors" wins it's time slot by a sizable margin. Still off from the last season of "Roseanne," as to be expected, but not far from that season's lowest rated episode of 2.5 in the 18-49 demo.

Plus, if you count the reworked/re-titled show as a "new" series, it's the highest rated debut of any new show this season.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
And it was roughly on par with the audience size that Roseanne had in its season-turned-series finale that aired back in May. Of course it was going to be down from the mega-opener that the revival had; it would have been down from that anyway even if Roseanne had not been fired and this was the season premiere of Roseanne in its previous iteration. ABC should be pleased with these numbers. To retain the vast majority of the viewers who were tuning in back in May despite Barr's absence has to be seen as a win.

https://tvline.com/2018/10/17/the-conners-ratings-spinoff-series-premiere-roseanne-dies/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks