What's new

ROSEANNE reboot — what are your thoughts? (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I know the standard HTF rules apply when discussing the content, but considering how some of the shows being rebooted weren’t exactly my cup of tea when they were new, it’s time something I actually liked back in the day got a new lease on life. At least now with the return of Roseanne they will be bringing back a show that, at its best, was funny, relevant, and ahead of its time in numerous ways*. But times have changed and so has she. Luckily, the rest of the surviving cast will be back and the last season is being ignored.
I also have a theory about why so many old shows are getting rebooted and it has as much to do with lack of high-definition availability of the originals than the lack of new ideas in Hollywood and the lack of new excuses for the lack of new ideas.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I think it's creative bankruptcy. The networks can't come up with anything better than the shows they canceled in the past, so they're bringing them back again.

That, plus the fact that they are probably in possession of surveys showing that many viewers only want "comfort food".

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I don't think "reboot" is the correct word for this or other shows making a return like Will & Grace and The X-Files. These shows are continuing after long hiatuses. They are in no way being "rebooted" which would be reworking an old premise into something different.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It seems to be working for…

Not really. That show was a minstrel show then and it's painful to even talk about now. Roseanne did more to advance the image of gay people with Martin Mull's character of Leon. Unfortunately, I've not heard about him or the character coming back. Sara Gilbert, of course, is a lesbian and is heavily involved with it, too. Darlene and her husband are supposed to have a son, and his taste in clothes and hobbies is already causing a stir in real-life.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think it's creative bankruptcy. The networks can't come up with anything better than the shows they canceled in the past, so they're bringing them back again.
Even more sad is that TV is on a 15 year creative hot streak and audiences are still wanting to see the same old stuff again. That being said, I love that The X-Files is back and Twin Peaks was the best thing on TV or in a movie theater last year so it's not all bad.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Roseanne was talking about her character's politics, and that made me nervous.

At least I hope the old shows get bluray.

Supposedly that's one of the things they will touch on: Jackie and Roseanne haven't spoken for a year because of the election.

As for the original, there likely won't be Blu-rays since it was shot on 480i videotape. IIRC they had trouble even getting uncut episodes for DVD at first (that was on Carsey-Werner's end IIRC).

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I am enjoying the new Will & Grace episodes for the most part, but they always leave me with a slight feeling of "you can't go home again".

I would think that Johnny Galecki cannot be a part of this new Roseanne because of his commitment to Big Bang Theory and, of course, sadly, Glenn Quinn passed away in 2002. It will be interesting to see how they fill the 20 year gap. 20 years! I can't believe how quickly the time has gone.

I also recall that Roseanne was one of those shows, like Friends and some others, that did not have good ratings at first, but they found their audience as time went. Nowadays if the first two or three episodes of something new don't instantly have great ratings it is gone just that quickly. I enjoyed the show Partners (created by the Will & Grace creators) but they only showed 5 episodes before pulling the plug.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I am enjoying the new Will & Grace episodes for the most part, but they always leave me with a slight feeling of "you can't go home again".

I would think that Johnny Galecki cannot be a part of this new Roseanne because of his commitment to Big Bang Theory...

He's confirmed for at least one episode, IIRC.

As for Will and Grace? Started out big, it's now settled in around the same numbers as Superstore, which aren't that huge to begin with (1.1, 4ish million viewers). Same thing happened to The X-Files. Big debut, huge drops, now sitting at roughly the same level as every other Fox show.

I see that happening to Roseanne. Big debut, big drop.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I think a big reason for these revivals is that the network execs look at the ratings they got, even in their waning final seasons, and salivate. They fail to consider that no show gets 12.9 rating anymore

A show today with numbers that got Hello, Larry cancelled 38 years ago would be the #1 show in TV.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I think a big reason for these revivals is that the network execs look at the ratings they got, even in their waning final seasons, and salivate. They fail to consider that
no show gets 12.9 rating anymore

I'm sure they understand that the landscape has changed, but an appeal to nostalgia for a proven prior success is probably a pretty easy sell when the original cast is all in.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I didn't watch much of her show when it was on, episodes here and there. I'll check it out when it comes out. I might be part of that "huge drop".

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For whatever reason, I'm sure my parents couldn't explain it today, but I wasn't allowed to watch Roseanne when it originally aired so I've never actually seen it. (I asked them recently and they laughed and didn't even remember that prohibition.) I might watch a new episode just because of that.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Any and all of my parents' attempts to forbid me from watching any specific TV shows were in vain. My mother's complaints that Married with Children was "raunchy" did not make me want to switch back to the TGIF pablum I had already outgrown as soon as The Golden Girls went into syndication. For me, it was a milestone to be able to stay up to watch a 9:00 PM show.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
He's confirmed for at least one episode, IIRC.

As for Will and Grace? Started out big, it's now settled in around the same numbers as Superstore, which aren't that huge to begin with (1.1, 4ish million viewers). Same thing happened to The X-Files. Big debut, huge drops, now sitting at roughly the same level as every other Fox show.

I see that happening to Roseanne. Big debut, big drop.
"Will & Grace" has been kind of a disappointment to me. Not so much a reboot, more of just "rinse, repeat and do it again". Doesn't even look like any of them have aged. Makeup and hair dye :D

Maybe it has improved, but not on my must see list. If it fits in the schedule, I'll watch, but looks like they're already taking a break, yet they've barely started.

"Roseanne" was always a little more "edgy" and took digs at everything. Plus more realistic with family and friend dynamics, not the picture perfect TV family. Guess we wait and see, but looking forward to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks