What's new

Room Design (1 Viewer)

AlexWolf

Agent
Hi! I am in the designing stages of a theater room. My budget is small, but not small to me I have about $10,000 to work with not including the construction. I am a total newbie, and very confused. I was hoping to get some advice on where best to put my money. Here is a rough idea of what I was thinking.

My foundation is poured already. It has a slant. All my gear is to be in the rear room. The equipment room is 10' wide by 15' long. The main theater is 23' by 15, but will end up with 17' after he finishes the foundation, which should be tomorrow.

I need advice on riser size and placement. I had 2 companies come take a look, but they really rubbed me the wrong way. They basically told me my budget wasnt enough to get anything worthwhile.

Anyway, the builder is willing to make the risers for me out of concrete. I suppose I could ask him to make them out of wood, but I dont know which is better.

Also, due to the slant they are telling me that the projector should be in the back. They also told me I cannot afford a decent projector in my budget. I dont think that is true, I bet there is something that will work.

I was also considering a 2.35:1 fixed height screen.

I also need speakers, I was thinking of Klipsch, but from what I see, a decent setup is going to cost $4000. That is for 2 RF-5s, 1 RC-7, 1 RSW-15, and 4 RS-7s. I was thinking of the Denon 3805.

I need help with screen placement and selection.

I wish there was someone in San Antonio that could help me, but I havent found anyone really willing to help.

I also have to pay someone to come install everything and run the wires.

Can someone help me?

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member

He should've finished that sentence with "...anything worthwhile from a contractor".

Are you handy at all, Alex? Framing isn't complicated, and doing it yourself will save you a lot. Framing a riser will only probably run you a couple of hundred bucks for the lumber.

If you're not handy... shop around. If you're dealing with outfits that specifically do home theater design and construction, chances are, they just sub-contract the construction part of it and tack on a profit for themselves. So, get a clear idea of what you want (by hanging out here) and then go to a few construction guys with your plans. Also, talk to some of your neighbors and builders to see if they know anyone who is willing to do some work on the side.

Got any sketches of what you're planning to do?

AlexWolf

Agent
Actually, the construction is already paid for! My budget is for equipment and install. My builder is going to pour concrete risers, which I have heard pros and cons, but I am going to use them anyways.

The room is 23*17. The first place gave me a proposed riser layout of 6' 6' 8' and 2'. There is a slant to the room, I have a picture but cant figure out how to post it here. I will try and upload them to my sever.

I think I have decided to go with the Klipsch Reference series, but I cannot figure out a projector solution. I was planning on using the Denon 3805, unless I can come across a steal on used seperates.

My floor slants downward, which makes the projector wall very large. I would guess 12' ceiling on that end. I planned to do a popped ceiling with rope ligting firing upwards. I dont want the projector hanging from the middle of that ceiling though. But, I cant afford a projector that can throw a 105' image 24'. So, Im stuck.

AlexWolf

Agent
I cant post pics yet, but if you to go my website at wolfreef dot com, then click on Inventory, there are pics.

Thomas_A

Second Unit
Alex... Let me know if I can be any help. I just wrapped up my HT this last week! BTW..I'm in S.A. also.

Thomas (see PM I sent you. )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks