What's new

Rolling Stones-what should I buy? (1 Viewer)

Tyler T

Stunt Coordinator
I've always liked The Rolling Stones, but for some reason never really bought their albums (actually one of the reasons was because there seemed to be so many albums:)) So with the new remasters coming out in about 7 days, I thought I should start my RS collection. (I would normally post a message like this to a newsgroup, but the Stones' newsgroup has so much spam, it's not funny...)
There are some drawbacks to building my Stones' collection. First off, I'm having a money hiatus and therefore have somewhat of a limited budget, so I can't buy anything too big or get three or four albums in a day (really depending on the B&M). I don't have an SACD player yet, either. :frowning: I guess that the SACD layer has better sound, but beggars can't be choosers... Plus, I don't know if I should get a hits compilation or a standerd album. I don't hate them too much, but I really do dislike buying them (why settle for nothing but overplayed crap, instead of getting an album that has a mix of the overplayed and the barely played???). But, I'm not saying that I won't buy them... Believe me, I wish I could buy all 22 remasters and then pick and choose. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that they need to be released on one day. :rolleyes:
EDIT:Looks like there will only be 11 of them issued on 8/27, and then the other half issued the next week. I imagine it's a wallet saver to some!
But, it's not limited to just the new remasters. If getting the later albums is needed, than I'll be happy to do so. I did hear the 1994 Sticky Fingers remaster once, and it blew me away!
In advance, thanks for all the replies (please please do reply :frowning:)!!!

Paul D Young

Second Unit
Well, the simplest way to start is with Hot Rocks or The Singles Collection. My favorite later album is Sticky Fingers. Of course there is always the new compilation Forty Licks that comes out in a few weeks that is supposed to cover most of there life span, maybe that will be your best starting point? There are so many good Stones albums to choose from!:confused:

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Does anybody have a track listing for Forty Licks? None of the official sources are turning up anything. I ask beacuse 36 songs (along w/ 4 new tunes) seems awfully brief to truly encapsulate a band's 39-year career, especially when you consider they had an astonishing run of hit songs (not to mention musical range).
And Tyler, I strongly urge you to pick up Singles Collection if you find it at a reasonable price, since there are several b-sides, non-album tracks and outtakes on there that most likely will not be reissued in any remastered form (though the Forty Licks Virgin/ABCKO agreement makes me hopeful).

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
36 songs (along w/ 4 new tunes) seems awfully brief to truly encapsulate a band's 39-year career,
Yes it does, but if you combine Hot Rocks with the most recent 1971+ compilation Jump Back, you total 37 songs. Sure, they'll probably want to make a nod to Voodoo Lounge and Bridges to Babylon, which means they'll have to lose a few of the tracks from those compilations, but I'll bet Licks will look a LOT like the combination of HR and JB...

David Egan

Stunt Coordinator
I recommend THROUGH THE PAST DARKLY as you have to by a hits collection to get Jumpin Jack Flash and Honky Tonk Women and this one also has many good songs from otherwise weak albums.

Keep in mind that the SINGLES COLLECTION features a lot of weak B-sides and is really for completists only.

Tyler T

Stunt Coordinator
I've made a decision...
I'll just buy the remastered Hot Rocks next week, and then according to the suggestions in the way earliear post, I'll buy Let It Bleed up to Exile. :)
Thanks!

Randy van Rijn

Auditioning
Some of my favourites are 'Let It Bleed', 'Exile On Main st.', 'Sticky Fingers' and 'Goat's Head Soup'... 'Bridges Of Babylon' is not too bad either... Especially the openingtrack 'Flip The Switch'.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks