What's new

Pre-Order RoboCop Director's Cut (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
91ToraTGY0L._SX522_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

As an Amazon Associate Home Theater Forum will earn from qualifying purchases.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
At least it sounds like they're making it worth the purchase with a plethora of bonus features, including several newly created.

Bonus features include (copied from Amazon):
  • Two theatrical trailers and three TV spots
  • Extensive image galleries
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Paul Shipper
  • 2012 Q&A with the Filmmakers
  • a panel discussion featuring Verhoeven, Neumeier, Miner, Allen, star Peter Weller and animator Phil Tippett
  • Directors Cut Production Footage
  • raw dailies from the filming of the unrated gore scenes
  • Four deleted scenes
  • The Boardroom: Storyboard with Commentary by Phil Tippett
  • RoboCop: Creating A Legend, Villains of Old Detroit
  • Special Effects: Then & Now, three archive featurettes from 2007 featuring interviews with cast and crew
  • More Man Than Machine: Composing RoboCop, a new tribute to composer Basil Poledouris featuring film music experts Jeff Bond, Lukas Kendall, Daniel Schweiger and Robert Townson
  • Paul Verhoeven Easter Egg
  • RoboProps, a newly filmed tour of super-fan Julien Dumonts collection of original props and memorabilia
  • Connecting the Shots, a newly filmed interview with second unit director and frequent Verhoeven collaborator Mark Goldblatt
  • Analog, a new featurette focusing on the special photographic effects, including new interviews with Peter Kuran and Kevin Kutchaver
  • Casting Old Detroit, a newly filmed interview with casting director Julie Selzer on how the films ensemble cast was assembled
  • Truth of Character, a newly filmed interview with star Nancy Allen on her role as Lewis
  • The Future of Law Enforcement: Creating RoboCop, a newly filmed interview with co-writer Michael Miner
  • RoboTalk, a newly filmed conversation between co-writer Ed Neumeier and filmmakers David Birke (writer of Elle) and Nicholas McCarthy (director of Orion Pictures The Prodigy)
  • New commentary by film historian Paul M. Sammon
  • New commentary by fans Christopher Griffiths, Gary Smart and Eastwood Allen
  • Original lossless stereo and four-channel mixes plus DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround sound option
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • 4K restoration of the Directors Cut from the original camera negative by MGM, transferred in 2013 and approved by director Paul Verhoeven
  • Archive commentary by director Paul Verhoeven, executive producer Jon Davison and co-writer Ed Neumeier

Last edited:

kitt1987

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy
While I can agree about the number of releases this has had on blu (too bad we couldn't have had 4k UHD release) but they did include enough supplements to make this worthwhile including not just the theatrical cut but the tv cut as well. Add to that we'll see how Arrow handles the color timing of the transfer.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
While I can agree about the number of releases this has had on blu (too bad we couldn't have had 4k UHD release) but they did include enough supplements to make this worthwhile including not just the theatrical cut but the tv cut as well. Add to that we'll see how Arrow handles the color timing of the transfer.
They already said its the same transfer from 2013. If you don't like that color timing then Paul Verhoeven disagrees with you.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Damn, how many freaking Blu-ray releases we're going to get of this movie? What a money grab!

This listing is for the single disc non-limited release which is SOP for Arrow Video. Before Arrow getting the rights there's been 2 official releases in 13 years.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
I bought the 2007 & 2014 BD releases. There are two different Arrow BD releases on November 26th. Now, we have another Arrow BD release in February, 2020.

On the 26th there's the 2 disc Limited Edition and the 2 disc Steelbook and the release on Feb 20th is a cheaper single disc non-limited release omitting the theatrical/tv cut disc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
On the 26th there's the 2 disc Limited Edition and the 2 disc Steelbook and the release on Feb 20th is a cheaper single disc non-limited release omitting the theatrical/tv cut disc.
Don't you think the average consumer would be confused by having three BD releases within two months of each other. Granted, many of us on this forum are savvy enough, but, we're knowledgeable consumers of physical media. It's confusing as hell even for me. I'm skipping all of these recent releases out of protest. It's not like its a favorite film of mine.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think the Arrow business model is to release a limited quantity, extra featured, higher priced version immediately to attract collectors and fans who need to have an item on day one, and also sometimes a limited steelbook for people that collect those, and then release a cheaper, less featured version to stay in print in perpetuity. They’re strategically hitting the most informed, top spending segments of the market and not going after average consumers, who have already moved on to digital.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Don't you think the average consumer would be confused by having three BD releases within two months of each other. Granted, many of us on this forum are savvy enough, but, we're knowledgeable consumers of physical media. It's confusing as hell even for me. I'm skipping all of these recent releases out of protest. It's not like its a favorite film of mine.

To go along with what Josh said the average consumer more than likely bought the 1st release maybe the remastered and is done with worrying about another release.

Arrow is giving fans of the film a choice of what to get.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I have the BluRay that has the Q&A with Weller and Allen. I think that disc only has the extended cut with the extra scenes of gore, so I’d like to have the option of the theatrical cut on BluRay.
The extra commentaries are tempting too.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I haven't owned a copy of Robocop since the Criterion DVD so many years ago.

This is a day one purchase, and if it looks nearly as good as "An American Werewolf in London" I will be very pleased. That actually blew me away with original mono, and video quality that looks better than most of my UHD catalog titles.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
I haven't owned a copy of Robocop since the Criterion DVD so many years ago.

This is a day one purchase, and if it looks nearly as good as "An American Werewolf in London" I will be very pleased. That actually blew me away with original mono, and video quality that looks better than most of my UHD catalog titles.

You can pre-order the limited edition or Steelbook from BN.com for $24.99 currently

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I just don't get why this isn't a 4K release.

I have given up with boutique labels and 4K. Just like Criterion not releasing any of their awesome 4K transfers on UHD disc, it seems all the other labels are following their lead.

I said before if these labels charged $50 for a 4K disc, I (and I'm sure others) would gladly pay for superior product.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I have given up with boutique labels and 4K. Just like Criterion not releasing any of their awesome 4K transfers on UHD disc, it seems all the other labels are following their lead.

I said before if these labels charged $50 for a 4K disc, I (and I'm sure others) would gladly pay for superior product.

Hasn't Criterion committed to 4K? I thought I read they'd be going 4K next year...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'd be interested, but I'm not paying $40 for a movie. $25 for a blu-ray and $30 for UHD, max for me. I haven't watched RoboCop in a long time. I guess I'll be looking at one of the other versions, and for a much lower price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks