1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Pre-Order RoboCop Director's Cut (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

I don't know. I haven't heard anything about it.

2. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

I did a search - apparently Digital Bits claimed Criterion would announce 4K UHD support "soon" in August.

So who knows?

Bryan^H likes this.
  3. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    How would Criterion deal with HDR? It seems to go against their stance of presenting films as closely as possible to the way they were originally presented.

4. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

They could release 4K discs without it. The increased color spectrum/ wider color gamut, and increased fine detail are perfectly good for a 4K release.

5. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    I remain under the opinion that the reason Criterion hasn't made a decision about 4k is because market trends make it wildly unrealistic for them to do so. Also doesn't help that they got burned royally the last time they tried a release in an unpopular novelty format (boy Pina just flew off the shelves am I right wutwut).

6. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    And yet, "the unpopular novelty format" convinced me that all ballet should be filmed in 3D because that's the way choreographers envision movement: in depth, not flat.

Stephen_J_H likes this.
  7. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Get the 2013 disc from Fox then - it has the exact same transfer as this new Arrow release, some of the same bonus material, and usually sells for around six bucks.

DaveF likes this.
  8. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
  9. Message #29 of 42 Nov 10, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    This one (currently at $10) and with "unknown binding"? Not sure I want "directors cut" over theatrical release, but maybe it comes with variants. I've not read up on it. But if I find the "right" version I'll add it to the wishlist so I don't have to think about it again when it's time to buy.

https://www.amazon.com/RoboCop-Unrated-Directors-Blu-ray-Century/dp/B00UGQENGU/ref=sr_1_6?crid=32GM0MIA4S02Q&keywords=robocop+blu+ray&qid=1573427448&s=movies-tv&sprefix=robo,movies-tv,136&sr=1-6

10. David Norman

David Norman Producer

The 3 New Arrow releases in Robert's post above (Post 14):
    The 27.97 Limited Edition (MSRP 49.95 -- B07X6CWFRD ) -- listed "2-Disc Limited Edition Collector's Set" (Nov 26, 2019) but Amazon screwed up again lists as 1 disc

The LE Steelbook for 27.97 -- same 2 discs (release 11/26/2019) also screwed up and listed 1 disc in description (ASIN B07X7D9FJ7)

The Standard Release/Robocop Director's Cut really is 1 disc is currently 39.95 (MSRP 39.99) and releases Feb 2020. (ASIN: B07ZQZ15VB)

DaveF likes this.
  11. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    No, this one from January 21, 2014. Amazon incorrectly states it’s Region B on the page, don’t know why.

https://www.amazon.com/RoboCop-Unrated-Directors-Cut-Blu-ray/dp/B00GST8UB8/ref=tmm_blu_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1573432148&sr=1-1

Until now only the unrated has been on BD. Arrow is first release of theatrical. But it’s only a few seconds of violence, not significant extended scenes so the running time is almost the same.

DaveF likes this.
  12. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    The two-disc is cheaper than the single disc release?
    The single-disc has more special features than the two-disc release?

Now I'm even more confused! :laugh:

That said, depending on the specifics, I'd consider the $27 two disc special edition theatrical release over a $6 older release.

13. David Norman

David Norman Producer

It's only more expensive because it was just listed and hasn't had a chance to drop yet. Most sites don't have a listing so AMazon doesn't know what to charge-- the NOV releases have a higher MSRP.

By release the std item will of course be whatever price Walmart, BBY. or Target has it at. The 1 disc is identical to the DC disc in the 2 disc set so 100% has nothing extra. If you want teh DC and Theatrical, get one of the Nov releases while they're cheaper.

DaveF likes this.
  14. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

Then you'll love the forthcoming documentary CUNNINGHAM, filmed in glorious 3D! (It's excellent.)

bujaki likes this.
  15. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    The theatrical cut was briefly released by Sony before Fox took over distribution for MGM. I still have it.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  16. Derrick King

Derrick King Supporting Actor

Steven Soderbergh mentioned in an interview that he asked Criterion to do an HDR grade on Sex, Lies and Videotape and they agreed to do it. Also, if I'm remembering correctly, in the Lee Kline podcast interview he mentioned they did HDR grades for Blood Simple and Rumble Fish.

17. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Although I bought the 2014 BD a few years back, never got around to watching it until now.

With the Arrow in hand, I wanted to finally watch the 2014 to compare.

I watched both separately and then flipped back and forth on different players to more directly compare.

The two do look awfully similar, though I think the Arrow feels a bit more stable. It's marginal, though, so the pair do look pretty identical most of the time.

Haven't gotten to any of the new extras yet!

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  18. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Amazon is now selling the LE Steelbook for $19.99 which is 60% off $49.99 MSRP. At that price point I jumped on it. Edit: I just looked up the MSRP at Best Buy and it's $34.99 there and selling for $19.99. Anyhow, I can careless about the following swag in that more expensive Limited Edition which are the only differences I can see between the two November 26th releases.

• Newly commissioned artwork by Paul Shipper
    • Six collector's postcards (Limited Edition exclusive)
    • Double-sided, fold-out poster (Limited Edition exclusive)
    • Reversible sleeve featuring original & newly commissioned artwork

19. David Norman

David Norman Producer

The MSRP of teh SB and Regular Slipcase set are both 49.95.
    BBY list price is their own internal 'list price' and not MSRP similar to how Amazon now lists a Regular price and deal price though BBY has done this for many more year. Deep Discount and B&N among others show the official MSRP. I have my order at B&N at 24.99

Nothing wrong with the Steelbook at all, but I like the slipcase better than the Steelbook much like I did with Weird Science even though the SB was cheaper at release. WS I initially did buy the Steel, but after seeing the Slipcase Edition I changed my mind and paid a couple dollars to exchange them. The Poster I can live without, but I normally like Arrow's small books (80 pages in this one) that come with their Limited Edition and their slipcases are usually great quality (sturdy thick chipboard) and a bit nicer than the average release

20. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I thought the Steelbook comes with the book too?