What's new

RIP Dick Gautier - Hymie The Robot Get Smart (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

From the NY Daily News

Dick Gautier, the actor best known for portraying Hymie the Robot in "Get Smart," has died.

He was 85.

Gautier starred in the original production of "Bye, Bye Birdie" and then went on to land the role of Hymie in the '60s sitcom "Get Smart." The actor, who started out as a stand-up comic, died at an assisted living facility Friday night after a long illness, his daughter Denise told The Hollywood Reporter.
Despite only showing face in six episodes over the course of four seasons, Hymie was one of the series' most popular characters. Gautier nailed the role of the supercomputer man alongside spy Max, played by Don Adams.

Gautier returned to star in the 1989 "Get Smart" TV movie to reprise his role.

His Broadway role as Conrad Birdie in the 1960 production of "Bye, Bye Birdie" featuring Dick Van Dyke was the role that would land him a Tony nomination.

In 1975, he had a short-lived role on the TV series "When Things Were Rotten," in which he starred as Robin Hood.
Gautier also appeared in the films "Divorce American Style" (1967), "Fun With Dick and Jane" (1977) and "Billy Jack Goes to Washington" (1977). He also made appearances on TV shows like "Charlie's Angels," "The Love Boat," "Murder, She Wrote," and "Nip/Tuck."

Last edited:

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
...and with Peter "Hollywood Squares" Marshall co-wrote one of my favorite AIP exploitation flicks, MARYJANE with Fabian and Diane McBain. Always thought MARYJANE was the 1960's version of REEFER MADNESS. I don't believe this has ever been released on VHS or DVD, Would love to see it again.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I was always a fan and enjoyed his performances whenever he turned up on various TV shows.

They made a big mistake not using him in the movie of Bye Bye Birdie as his recordings on the cast recording are darkly sexual and are much better sung than Jesse Pearson's renditions in the film. He also had more of an Elvis look than Jesse. Glad we at least have the album of his Tony nominated role.

Best wishes go to friends and family.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
In 1980 I was introduced to the musical BRIGADOON and it was a truly magical experience. Dick Gautier played Tommy at Sacramento Music Circus in the round. It was a beautiful evening of theater and I have never forgotten it. Victoria Mallory (RIP) and Mark Lambert (from the original cast of A Little Night Music) co-starred, and Dave Madden played Jeff (which was fun because I grew up with The Partridge Family and Laugh-In). Dick Gautier had a wonderful legit singing voice that was not fully utilized in Bye Bye Birdie. I am sorry to hear of his passing.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Gautier has great. Loved him in Get Smart, but he was more than that. He was a great talent with a perfect sense of comedic timing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks