What's new

Ringu impressions (1 Viewer)

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Hmm, unless you take Japanese, you don't know Japanese.

If you were to ask a true Japanese (not in America) about the movie, "Ring," saying in English "Ring," they'll look at you really perplexed and confused. However, if you pronounce it like the Japanese do, and enunciate in the katakana as it was written as "RI N GU" then they'll respond. It's very, very, very important to pronounce every syllable in the Japanese importation of American words, otherwise you'll just get blank stares.

It's like what my Japanese Professor, who's caucasian, btw, told us a story about his friend who was in Japan, and his car need a white paint job. He kept screaming at the clerk/painter "White Paint! White Paint!". The Japanese just stared at him in complete perplexion. He gave up and ask my professor to talk to the guy, and my professor said "waito peinto" (white paint) and the Japanese responded with comprehension. The other guy was furious that a little "o" in both words is keeping the guy from understanding him. My professor said that it's really important that adopted words be spoken like the Japanese do, otherwise they won't understand it.

Hence, my saying, if the Japanese pronounce their movie as "RINGU" (hard "g" sound) then it should be "RINGU" although it should have a subtitle of "Ring" under it. Yeah, it's redundant, but that's how you can please both sides of the fence.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
to re-iterate what jeff said.

so a movie titled "ring" is pronounced in english "ring"
in japanese "ringoo" or ringu.

so if it was just called, ring, then english and japanese would call it by it's intended and proper title.

so it should just have been called "ring"

this is they way i interpret what folks are trying to get accross on this.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
I guess if DVD covers actually spoke the name of their title, then all of this would be moot. If they originally named the film circle, would we be having the same discussion?

Tim RH

Second Unit
Can we get back to the quality of the actual DVD yet please? This whole thread is becoming redundant. :rolleyes

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I think Jeff's anger at the title is just a mask for his anger at the remake being made at all. I think this is all overblown. I agree the remake is unnecessary, but because of this a lot of people will discover the original. If it never existed only people who are already into Asian cinema like Jeff would have seen it.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
If they called it Ring, there probably would have been considerable consumer confusion with The Ring. This is a reasonable solution.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
If one is going to attack foreign film titles, why wasn't there a fuss about a certain film not being released with the title The Fabulous Destiny of Amelie Poulain? I consider that much more of a breach of intent.
I definitely saw some criticisms of the title as released here, and also of the additional title that appears in the subtitles during the title sequence: "Amelie From Montmartre."

DJ

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Therefore it should be "Ring"
And the discussion going on in this thread should be about the movie and its DVD release, what with the title of the thread being "Ringu impressions Page" and all. Yet it was only two posts and one hour and 21 minutes before you derailed it completely.

Could we either get back on topic or lock this pointless, trivial argument up please?

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
If one is going to attack foreign film titles, why wasn't there a fuss about a certain film not being released with the title The Fabulous Destiny of Amelie Poulain? I consider that much more of a breach of intent
Yeah but do u think a lot of people would have watched a "foreign" (well they are my neighbours and 10 min away so not really)film with such a long title. They have to be kept simple, it's already hard watching it with those damn subs:D

Back on topic
Richard I'm glad to hear that the R1 trashes the Tartan discs (one of the worst transfers I have ever seen)
Are there any extras?
and where did u get it from?
cheers

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I was just wondering...is this disc gonna be widely available? Like is CC gonna get it?

David Susilo

Screenwriter
And the discussion going on in this thread should be about the movie and its DVD release, what with the title of the thread being "Ringu impressions Page" and all.

Yet it was only two posts and one hour and 21 minutes before you derailed it completely.
Well... discussing about the title is also part of our impressions about Ringu. Semantically (and also legally), there is nothing wrong with this discussion. If you don't like it, as always, don't read it.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
PS: Best Buy Canada, HMV Canada and Futureshop Canada already list "Ringu" as part as their pre-order list, so I guess this will be a wide release.

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator
Just went to the Mega-Lo-Mart...excuse me, Wal*Mart website, and they too are apparently carrying "Ring(u)" for the same price as the US remake. So, if you live in an area that is devoid of anything *but* Wal*Mart (as I do), that might be a good place to check this coming Tuesday.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Hence why I'm not up in arms that my Domestic R1 release of Amores Perros isn't called Love's a Bitch
This isn't really an accurate parallel... Spanish uses the same Roman characters as English does (with special accented variations: á, é, í, ó, ñ, ü)

I don't think anyone would be up in arms if they'd used リング, for instance.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Was the Tartan disc the champion as far as A/V quality goes?

I guess my real question is this:

Is this disc going to the finest presentation of the film yet(excluding the title ;) )?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks